Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is an LLM feasible?  (Read 3514 times)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is an LLM feasible?
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
Wondering if anyone applied to Harvard, Yale, or Columbia for their LLM program?  I have decent grades from a decent school and a V30 job lined up.  No journal.  Contemplating applying and wanted to see if anyone had any stats on what is needed to get in.  Couldnt find anything on a google search.  thanks.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is an LLM feasible?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 11:12:38 PM »
None of the schools you listed have LLM programs for non-foreign trained lawyers.  Look at georgetown and nyu for a variety of post-JD LLM programs.  There is also Northwestern and University of Florida if you are interested in tax.  However, none of these but NYU, and to a certain extent Georgetown, will increase your marketability, especially since you already have a big law firm job.

False. Like, way false.

Harvard: "To be considered for the LL.M. Program, an applicant must have a J.D. (Juris Doctor) from an accredited U.S. law school or a first law degree (J.D., LL.B. or the equivalent) from a foreign law school."

Columbia: "Admission to candidacy for the LL.M. degree is restricted, in the case of graduates of law schools in the U.S., to graduates of A.B.A.-accredited law schools...."

Yale: "Applicants for the LL.M. program must have completed their law degree at an accredited U.S. law school or a non-U.S. law school with substantially equivalent standards...."

Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
None of the schools you listed have LLM programs for non-foreign trained lawyers.  Look at georgetown and nyu for a variety of post-JD LLM programs.  There is also Northwestern and University of Florida if you are interested in tax.  However, none of these but NYU, and to a certain extent Georgetown, will increase your marketability, especially since you already have a big law firm job.

Congratulations.  You're a feminine hygiene product. 

http://www.law.columbia.edu/faculty/full_time_fac
íMe cago en la leche!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
I got the same impression reading Harvard and Yale's.  Ideally, I would like to do my first career at a firm then my second teaching (I would be happy teaching undergrad law classes or at a law school, and I think each level has its own advantages). 

Ive done some more research and realize that, at least according to Harvard, it would be nearly impossible to get them to consider me without at least two years experience, so I will probably push the program off.  I just dont like the idea of getting settled in somewhere and then moving again. 

Thank you for your advice on everything. 

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »

Congratulations.  You're a feminine hygiene product. 

http://www.law.columbia.edu/faculty/full_time_fac

I'm willing to admit when I am wrong but I certainly don't go around tossing insults to people I don't know, cloaked by the anonymity of the internet or not.  I am almost the only person who consistently tries to positively respond to these LL.M. boards and that hardly makes me a jerk even if I am incorrect in a response.  The LL.M. programs that the op is exploring are clearly new in their orientation and different from the foreign-student-only ones that they had until recently (although the 30-year alumni of the Columbia one was a nice find, I'd be interested in seeing something less than 20 years old). 

After reading the materials on the Yale and Harvard LL.M. programs, it sounds like they are turning their research fellowships into LL.M. degrees.  While it may be useful for teaching careers, it does seem kind of crummy to start charging people to do their own research while these types of programs have historically been paid positions.

OP, are you interested in teaching?

Whatever dude. My Columbia cut-and-paste is 2 days old at most.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:54:07 PM »
Here are a few examples of Harvard LL.M.s teaching at 2 different law schools.

Alright, here's one from about 10 years ago.  This prof. seems to be about similarly situated to the OP - T1 law school with law firm experience, then went on to LL.M. and is now teaching.  Click on his C.V. 1996, Harvard LL.M. 
http://www.drexel.edu/law/alex-geisinger.asp

Here's another.http://www.tjsl.edu/faculty_s_berenson
íMe cago en la leche!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »
Here are a few examples of Harvard LL.M.s teaching at 2 different law schools.

Alright, here's one from about 10 years ago.  This prof. seems to be about similarly situated to the OP - T1 law school with law firm experience, then went on to LL.M. and is now teaching.  Click on his C.V. 1996, Harvard LL.M. 
http://www.drexel.edu/law/alex-geisinger.asp

Here's another.http://www.tjsl.edu/faculty_s_berenson

Nice, that is definitely reassuring.  Thanks for the research :)

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
You're a tax attorney?  I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed Fed Tax. Going into it, I was dreading the class, but we had a really good prof. who did a great job teaching both the Code and the policies. 
íMe cago en la leche!