Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Specialties  (Read 569 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
Law School Specialties
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
I want to know what schools are known for specialties such as environmental law, etc. I want to know who is good for tax law but can't find this info easy on the web. any suggestions?
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Specialties
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
For the most part, these specialty rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. For environmental law, the best schools are Pace, Lewix & Clark, and Vermont. But getting enviro jobs out of these places can be difficult. Most people around here generally agree that going to Vanderbilt (a top school with a rising enviro program) for enviro would be much better than attending any of the specialty schools. HTH

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
For the most part, these specialty rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. For environmental law, the best schools are Pace, Lewix & Clark, and Vermont. But getting enviro jobs out of these places can be difficult. Most people around here generally agree that going to Vanderbilt (a top school with a rising enviro program) for enviro would be much better than attending any of the specialty schools. HTH

this is not entirely true. chicago environmental law is nonexistent (or very well-hidden), and if you're 100% sure you'll be doing environmental public interest work, you might be better served to go to lewis and clark or vermont. not the case if you want to do renewable energy or something in law firm environmental practice. the main problem is that the vast majority of people change their minds about what practice area they're interested in, or at the very least, train as generalists during school and adopt specialties later.

i haven't heard anything about tax law but i'm guessing going to a top school would be even more essential for that (plenty of schools have good tax programs).

I never said to go to Chicago. I said to go to a top school with a good enviro program, and used Vandy as an example. Obviously, the OP shouldn't go to a school that doesn't have a program in which they want to study. One of my points is, for enviro at least, Vermont and L & C are more famous for their study into the field than they are for producing successful lawyers in the field. Unless someone has information against this?

I do agree that it seems many people change their minds about what they want to do in law school, and the better all around school you are at, the better your options.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »
Clairel, what did you do in here? No matter how many times I look at this thread, or click "consider these threads read" or whatever, this thread won't leave my unread page. Its... annoying.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:00:07 AM »
Clairel, what did you do in here? No matter how many times I look at this thread, or click "consider these threads read" or whatever, this thread won't leave my unread page. Its... annoying.

i have the same problem. i'm deleting my reply just to see if that fixes it....

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
haha.. well mine is better now..