Law School Discussion

Three times???

Three times???
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:06 AM »
How does it look to take the LSAT 3 times, assuming there is any sort of improvement from 1 score to the next?  I've already taken twice but KNOW I can do better than my current score, which is out of range for the schools I want (164). 

Re: Three times???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »
I took the test three times, although I cancelled one of them so I only had two scores.  I don't know how my other schools took it, but it didn't hurt me at Columbia!

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
How about if you do better but not by something drastic as 10 points. Say from a 161 the first time, a 158 a second, and a  165 a third. Will the third time look bad?  Will they see the score as just a fluke?

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
How about if you do better but not by something drastic as 10 points. Say from a 161 the first time, a 158 a second, and a  165 a third. Will the third time look bad?  Will they see the score as just a fluke?

Remember, schools care so much about the LSAT because of its play in the rankings. As important as it is to judge your aptitude, it is much more important because it supposedly demonstrates the intellectual prowess of the incoming student. Because law schools now only have to release the top scores of students, it has made this much less of an issue. I doubt the above situation would have any effect beyond a basic minimal one.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
Hmm thanks, I think I'm going to risk it and retake for a third time. I'm teetering on a breakdown, but I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't try. Anyone else here retaking fora third time?

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
I consider re-taking 3rd time in Dec.
I am not sure, though

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:08:18 AM »
Although I'm starting to feel like a compulsive Las Vegas gambler perpetually trying to win it big, I think that, analyzing my mistakes there is ample reason for me to mount a December retake for a third shot at the brass ring.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
I'm doing my 4th time in Dec.

I canceled my first score like a complete idiot.
The other two scores, well they were not so great because on the week or day of the exam my girlfriend decided to break up with me and put me through an emotional rollercoaster. As if the LSAT wasn't bad enough, you know.

So low and behold, here I am retaking in December after finally being cleared by the LSAC.  Granted I could have asked a law school for a stinking letter, but I felt I needed time to prepare a bit more.  So hopefully, this time, I can at least get a 160 to get into whatever law school takes me.  I am the "compulsive Las Vegas gambler.

But, if I don't succeed this time, this is my last time and then I will give law school up.  Yes, I'm a minority.

Edit: If I don't get in to law school, then I'm going to move on and dump my stupid girlfriend. It's the least I can do for payback!

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15:30 PM »
If you do well enough it won't matter.

However, taking the LSAT three times and putting yourself through all the studying?  Now that sucks.  I did it once and wanted to put my head through a wall.  My heart goes out to you.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:59 AM »
katfid- esp. during college football season; my schedule is already sufficiently consumed!

thanks everyone for y'all's advice.  i'm def retaking & am super confident i'm going up.