Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OFFICIAL "OMG Should I Retake, Apply, or Give Up and Become a Fry Cook?" Thread  (Read 5705 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Here's the story: I graduated with a 3.0 GPA in Political Science at the University of Rhode Island. I just received the results back from the October 4th LSAT (147). I had been consistently scoring in the 146-151 range, is it worth the retake to bump my score up a point or two? Or should I apply as early as possible and better my chances, I heard most schools are rolling admission. I'm not fixated on a particular school, I'd just like to go somewhere warm (CA or FL). I'm aware these numbers are probably only applicable for Tier 4 schools, someone please reassure me I'll be accepted somewhere!!!

Apply to part-time programs, your score won't count against them for ranking purposes if you get admitted PT
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Here's the story: I graduated with a 3.0 GPA in Political Science at the University of Rhode Island. I just received the results back from the October 4th LSAT (147). I had been consistently scoring in the 146-151 range, is it worth the retake to bump my score up a point or two? Or should I apply as early as possible and better my chances, I heard most schools are rolling admission. I'm not fixated on a particular school, I'd just like to go somewhere warm (CA or FL). I'm aware these numbers are probably only applicable for Tier 4 schools, someone please reassure me I'll be accepted somewhere!!!

Apply to part-time programs, your score won't count against them for ranking purposes if you get admitted PT

This may be changing come April-ish or something; US News is deciding on whether or not they will start including PT scores in their average
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Jay24

• View Profile
    • Email
I need some advice. My top choice is Arizona State University which has a 25/75 of 156-162.  On practice tests I was scoring in the low 160's but my actual score was 157.  I have a 3.9 UGPA, but I'll be an out of state applicant.  Should
I retake or take my chances?

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
REALITY ALERT

I'm calling bull$hit on some of you cuz this is ridiculous.  There is something seriously wrong when people claim they were getting up to 180's on practice tests (yeah right unless you fudged something while taking it) but then end up with actual scores in the 160's.  It's also especially bothersome when people who got scores in the high 160's complain about their lives being over and purgatory and all that crap. 
Stop sniffing the glue and paint thinner, put away the BS and the razor blades.  If you want to lie to yourself, that is your deal, but posting that you were getting 180's on PT's stinks like a dogs butt, especially when you end up with something in the 160's.  Anybody familiar with the term denial? 
Call me crazy cliffy today, anybody that can legitimately get a 180 on a fresh PT can and should get something in the 170's on test day unless Martians melted your brain and it leaked out your ear in the test center or something.
Take a look in the mirror people and at least be honest with yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpTQCQEFhg

A valiant attempt cliff007, and what you say is true, but you are never going to be able to winnow out the mendacious charlatans on lawschooldiscussion. :P :D

nat568

• View Profile
    • Email
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! I need some kind of encouraging advice. I'm begging for someone to make me feel better.

I have a 3.9 at a well respected state school in Texas. I'm smart, hard working, and have no doubt I will succeed in law school. Oh yeah...except I completely MESSED UP the October test!!! I made a..cringe...156. I was scoring 163 - 167 on PTS. Am I screwed? Did this score just completely trump 4 years of hard academic work? I'm absolute wreck and I'm GOING CRAZY!! I have high expectations for myself and I feel as if I ruined them all....I'm obviously retaking it but I'm scared shitless.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! I need some kind of encouraging advice. I'm begging for someone to make me feel better.

I have a 3.9 at a well respected state school in Texas. I'm smart, hard working, and have no doubt I will succeed in law school. Oh yeah...except I completely MESSED UP the October test!!! I made a..cringe...156. I was scoring 163 - 167 on PTS. Am I screwed? Did this score just completely trump 4 years of hard academic work? I'm absolute wreck and I'm GOING CRAZY!! I have high expectations for myself and I feel as if I ruined them all....I'm obviously retaking it but I'm scared shitless.

Take a breath for god's sake. Retake in December if you really feel you can improve.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

No, you're not ruined. Just wait five years and the LSAC will no longer report your 156.

elsathermit

• View Profile
    • The El Sat Hermit
I got a 166. This was after consistently testing between 172 and 175. I'm incredibly disappointed in myself, which isn't something I'm used to at all. I thought I absolutely destroyed the test, too.

I can still go to Cornell, I guess, and I have a tiny chance at Georgetown (which is where I really want to go). I've got a 4.00 GPA on my side, but that doesn't really mean much given my score.

Thankfully, I'm not applying until next year (I'm still a junior), so I might retake in June. The problem is, I spent more than a year preparing for the October exam, and I'm not really sure I can do any better than I did, despite my PT scores saying quite differently.

@#!*.

holy crap. i thought you were gonna pull into the 72+ range for sure... retake dude. absolutely. relearn everything, more thoroughly (i assume you've exhausted most material) and analyze each problem. you should not waste that 4.0, jesus. you'll pull through it with proper study, i'm pretty confident of that.
(Oct 08: 172) (June 09: 177)

theskier12

• View Profile
    • Email
I scored 10 points lower than my practise average and 14 points lower than my record high. I even scored below the first practise test I ever took, before I even studied anything. Was it just me, or was the RC section particularly tough? Since I felt so confident on the 4th, I'm kinda afraid to sign up for the December test and waste another month of my life and hundreds of dollars.

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm more concerned with having multiple LSATs and one being pretty mediocre. I know schools are supposed to take (or give principle consideration to) your highest score now, but we all know that's not really how it works. I think if I pulled a 170ish on a retake, I might do well enough to get NYU, but I would honestly probably take Georgetown over NYU.

I've got a long time to consider. I would honestly have no problem going to Cornell, and I think my numbers would get me in as-is. It's fourth on my list, but the location and surrounding area make it really attractive to me.

The thing that really gets me about all of this is how confident I was during and after the test. I was talking to my advisor on Friday about what my score expectations were, and there was no way I thought I would've had anything lower than a 170. It's just really disheartening.
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN