Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any MFAs out there?  (Read 6510 times)

namastegirl

• View Profile
Any MFAs out there?
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »
I have been out of undergrad for about 8 years (eng and musical theatre major with 3.38 GPA), but I did get an MFA(performance) and graduated with a 4.0. I am wondering if anyone knows how much the graduate school grades will be taken into account?  Given that I am a completely different person now than I was at 21, I am hoping that the admissions office will make note of this. I have been in the work force for about 8 years and help create a 501c3 here in Chicago.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for responses.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any MFAs out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:19:36 AM »
I have been out of undergrad for about 8 years (eng and musical theatre major with 3.38 GPA), but I did get an MFA(performance) and graduated with a 4.0. I am wondering if anyone knows how much the graduate school grades will be taken into account?  Given that I am a completely different person now than I was at 21, I am hoping that the admissions office will make note of this. I have been in the work force for about 8 years and help create a 501c3 here in Chicago.

Thoughts?

They are given good weight. An undergrad B+ average and a 4.0 MFA might get you into a T-14 if your LSAT id over 164 and you have some other soft factors. Schools will look at it differently. Try to target schools that have a great respect for performers, like the NY schools and the Cali schools. your major was performance and that could cost you some points...it just depends.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Thoughts?

They are given good weight. An undergrad B+ average and a 4.0 MFA might get you into a T-14 if your LSAT is over 164 and you have some other soft factors. Schools will look at it differently. Try to target schools that have a great respect for performers, like the NY schools and the Cali schools. your major was performance and that could cost you some points...it just depends.

this post is terribly misinformed.  masters degrees are generally not given much weight in the admissions process.  a 164 will most certainly not get you into a "T14" school.  at best, UGPA matters slightly less the further out one is from undergrad.  if you've spent the past eight years doing impressive things then that will help, but admissions are still primarily a numbers game involving two things: your LSAT and (to a lesser degree) your UGPA.  your best bet is to perform well on your LSAT.

Okay? Show me your evidence that I am misinformed...because I have evidence supporting what I am saying, and I will quote the book(s), chapter, page and verse.

You are misinformed...

You speak on this applicant and you don't even know what her background is, or where she's applying. And before you even think about it, I am the optomistic speaker who qualified his statements, so I do not need to know her background...I am stating general rules that happen to be fact, and I qualified my statements as "conditional". I also said that it will depend on the school ("schools will look at it differently"), i.e., some schools will apply less weight than others, but some will be more impressed.

READ: I said "if...over 164"! I also acknowledged that her major could cost her with a few schools. I would never have told her she had a shot if I hadn't seen it done and couldn't prove what I was saying.

You are completely wrong. A masters degree can turn GWU into Georgetown, Loyola into USC or UCLA or, Brooklyn Law into Cornell or UNC into Duke...and I have seen it done.

Let's have it...where's your evidence? I want book chapter, name of speaker (and it had better be a representative of a T-14 adcom) and a quote. I have some ready, so let's go...run it!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »
I am stating general rules that happen to be fact, and I qualified my statements as "conditional".

i think you're confused as to what constitutes a "fact".

i'd love to see this book you're citing.

Obviously many people on this site don't read. Put your evidence up, and I will quote the book, because I have it sitting next to me. You are going to feel so crunchy.

You refuted me, so it's your turn...then I will give my rebuttal.

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
I have to side with lawdog on this one. His post used bolded and underlined font, which really caught my eye. On top of this most dogs will tear the *&^% out of a fox.

HTH

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
Put your evidence up

http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0708/?whichCycle=0809

You've really been giving horrible advice.  For the sake of people who don't know better, please stop.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »
Also, lawdog, you mentioned in the other thread that you thought this OP was Latino/a.  What makes you think that?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
S/he didn't even cite evidence from a book...it was solely anecdotal evidence.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »
Put your evidence up

You've really been giving horrible advice.  For the sake of people who don't know better, please stop.

I have not...and like I said, it's the job of the respondent to put up. Since you said my advice is horrible, prove it and I will give my proof. I have not been talking out of my azz. I have books and page numbers with quotes. I have beaten so many people in online debates because they have no evidence. And not from one school...that won't work because mine comes from a consensus.

Go! Where's your evidence. If you give up? I'll cite mine.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
Put your evidence up

I have not...and like I said, it's the job of the respondent to put up. Since you said my advice is horrible, prove it and I will give my proof. I have not been talking out of my azz. I have books and page numbers with quotes. I have beaten so many people in online debates because they have no evidence. And not from one school...that won't work because mine comes from a consensus.

Go! Where's your evidence. If you give up? I'll cite mine.

It is axiomatic that the primary concern of admissions committees is maintaining or improving their schools' positions in the USNWR rankings.  The primary determinants of rankings are LSAT and UGPA.  Graduate GPAs do not figure into the rankings at all.  I am sure that graduate GPA can be a good tiebreaking factor between two people with similar scores and UGPAs, but it is not generally something that law schools weigh heavily.  Another reason they don't weigh graduate GPA heavily is that most fine arts and liberal arts graduate programs give students As for merely proficient work.  (I of course don't know anything about the OP's grad program in particular.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.