Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Time v. Full Time  (Read 529 times)

angiej

• View Profile
Part Time v. Full Time
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
I've heard that alot of schools accept more students or have more relaxed admissions standards for students who apply to a school's part-time program.  But when you apply, is there a box or something to check both part-time or full-time.  I would prefer full-time but if my LSAT isn't strong (and my current GPA is a 3.58) I realize I may have better chances getting in under a part-time program.  Any ideas?

Also, and maybe I should be posting this elsewhere, how much does FAFSA cover for law school?  What is the max amount one can borrow under a federal loan?  I am a sophmore in my undergrad and am saving like crazy.

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part Time v. Full Time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
It's somewhat true, but to what extent depends on the school. Part-time scores are not incorporated as part of the USNWR rankings, so law schools have a bit more flexibility when it comes to admitting applicants. However, I'm under the impression that they're held to the same range of academic standards as full-time students.

To answer your other question, the maximum amount a graduate student can borrow from a Stafford loan is $8,500 subsidized, $20,500 unsubsidized AND subsidized (this is per year). The lifetime maximum for a graduate student is $138,500.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
So is it possible to apply to both the part-time program and full-time programs all in one year/application?

Do schools ask for verification of ability to pay for school?  For instance if I go to an out of state, state school so I have to show that I can make up the difference that I can't get through FAFSA?

And how is out of state status determined?  If I have a relative in a state, can I just use their addy?  Aren't I technically living in that area once I move anyway!?

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
With the first question: it depends on the school. Some schools allow you to apply to both, some don't.

I'm familiar with general residency rules for state schools, but not particularly for law schools. Usually, you need to have X amount of years of residency established BEFORE attending school (utility bills, etc... usually more strict protocols) to gain in-state status.

Maybe someone else can answer the verification question. But there are always lenders that do other loans, not just the Stafford.