Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern for Big Law? Pros/cons?  (Read 14390 times)

aspinxtreem

• gpa 3.3, lsat 162
    • View Profile
Northeastern for Big Law? Pros/cons?
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:32:47 AM »
I went to Northeastern Law never intending to practice in the public interest sector. I hoped to work at a large Boston firm from day one.

Co-op (PRO!) The co-op system was amazing in helping me gain some fantastic contacts (fed. judges, DAs, etc.) in the New England legal community and I did very well during on campus recruiting for "Big Law" jobs. Though NUSL is a strong public interest school, employers in every area really appreciate students with experience and some knowledge of "real life" legal practice. Overall, law school is what you make of it. If you have a goal, crush first year, and learn how to distiguish yourself, you'll be all set.

Making money on co-op (pro!) I have been able to earn between $1000/wk - $3100/wk on three of my four co-ops (my first was an unpaid judicial clerkship).

The grades (pro & con) - Trust me, everyone in Boston and most of New England understands NUSL's system. While profs use "buzzwords" rather than traditional letters, they often write an entire page about your exam, writing skills, participation, etc. NUSL has co-op employers in nearly every state and 100+ countries, and everyone gets the system. It can be a pain for employers to have to read pages of evaluations, but I have found most employers appreciate the additional info.

Lastly, the Law Review (pro!) - NUSL now has a Law Journal http://www.nulj.org for 2L's/3L's. The school knows that while many of its students go into public interest, a significant amount go into private practice, and we all need opportunities to distinguish ourselves. The school is working to create more opportunities, and the Journal is one of them.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northeastern for Big Law? Pros/cons?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »
In this economy, going into a second rate law school like NE is stupid.  Period.

baragon112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
In this economy, going into a second rate law school like NE is stupid.  Period.

Hey dude, wtf is wrong with you? How stuck up are you?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
Because what I said IS true.  Would you prefer it delivered in a sugar coated fashion?

baragon112

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
Because what I said IS true.  Would you prefer it delivered in a sugar coated fashion?

i personally prefer my bitter pills coated in sugar, so i wouldn't necessarily fault her if she did.

Oh man pretty smart. You are definitely not stuck up. My bad.

baragon112

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »

i personally prefer my bitter pills coated in sugar, so i wouldn't necessarily fault her if she did.

Oh man pretty smart. You are definitely not stuck up. My bad.

you didn't answer my question.  content or tone?

Reality;

I don't like your tone.

I jumped in on this thread because I saw dude make a stupid comment as if his opinion matters.

I'm not going to get into a stupid argument over nothing with you.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
Dude- got any objective FACTS to state?  Do you think Biglaw firms have stopped interviewing/hiring anyone from a "second rate school"?
Fed gov't atty

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
Do you see Northeastern on ANY ranking lists for Biglaw placement?  There are tons of studies out there.  Hell, ask your own career office.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
Dude- there are still BigLaw firms doing OCI here and I know 3Ls that have offers from places like Ropes & Gray.  It's hardly a dumb decision for someone who wasn't able to get into a "higher-ranked" law school if they end up with the same job.
Fed gov't atty

spanktheduck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
Just how many 3L's have offers from biglaw?  I would venture a guess that its not a significant minority.