Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what to do for 2L summer  (Read 4751 times)

asdfjkl;

• View Profile
what to do for 2L summer
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
[]

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: what to do for 2L summer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »
Biglaw is likely out regardless at this point for a few years.  Sure, you can reapply to OCI 3L, but most firms don't interview 3Ls.

Midlaw may pay better, but from my experience, going to government for a few years will get you into Biglaw more easily than from Mid-law.

In the end, do what makes you happy as you can't predict where you will be in 5 years.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
You mean undersubscribed?  Oversubscribed would mean they would no-offer a higher number.  Conservative estimates would likely lead to undersubscription, which could be a good thing for those of us with offers.

Also, most Biglaw laterals spent a few years as government attorneys, so I'm not sure where you are getting your info. that getting to a firm from government is difficult.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »
I thought you meant conservative in giving out summer offers to begin with, which is my guess of what is going on.

Also, I don't think many firms plan to no-offer 3-4.  It looks bad for them for the following year's recruiting. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »
90% is the new 100%.  Do you ever read ATL?

You do realize that ATL is a tabloid right?  While I love the site, a lot of what they say is BS gossip.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »
I know the 2008 offer rates were crap, which is all the more reason for firms to fix them in 2009.  The strongest firms still boast 95-98% offer rates and the other firms that are competing will want to get back on track.  One year of no-offers is a bad economy, two years of it starts causing a firm to have trouble recruiting.

Right, letters from UPenn, etc.... that don't detail the firm and both mention ONE student.  Oh my, it must be an epidemic lol....

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
How do you know?  Thinking like that is really going to ruin your summer.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »
Ahh, that sucks.  That's why you are better off not knowing.  Now you will be a stress ball lol, because you really can't "prove yourself" during a SA.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »
You did a Biglaw SA last year?  Dude, all we did during our SA was go to lunch and dinner. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »
Well brick, I think you are entitled to being right now and then, though I still think it is very few firms that are doing this.  I also think that they ARE doing it so that they can give 100% offers and rebound their reps.

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/10/accept_your_offers_part_iii.php#more