Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Housing  (Read 2130 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Summer Housing
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
So, I know it's too early for next summer, but how have people gone about finding summer housing?  Last summer I was in Europe and found my roommate through a website.  For this summer, I'm looking for a tall order... a furnished apartment for two people and two dogs in DC (or not too far out).
Michigan Law Class of 2010

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Housing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »
I'm also looking for housing in DC, but for 1 person/1 dog.  I've only searched briefly, but I've found a couple places that allow pets, short-term leases, and provide furnished apartments.  I don't think it will be a big deal to find a good place.
2L

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
What have you found so far?  I've seen a few sites for corporate housing, but they're like minimum of $2500 a month.  That's doable on a summer associate salary, but I would hope to be squirreling away more money than that.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
You'll find DC isn't exactly pet friendly. I imagine the furnished, short term places are even less pet friendly. My wife and I had a hard time finding a decent place in a good neighborhood that was affordable that allowed pets. Might have some luck looking for sublets from GULC/GW students going to NYC for the summer.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »
Check with your firm/other employer to see if they do anything to help you out - my firm collected sublet listings from students at all of the local law schools for people who needed housing. Your firm may do something similar, or have other leads for you.

I vaguely remember there being a NALP site or something where law students could list sublets for other summer associates, too, but I could be wrong about who hosted it or even about its existence.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »
The bit of searching I've done so far has been on http://4wallsindc.com/

I don't know much about the site other than what it has listed.  I haven't done much searching since then, as a number of places I found sounded good enough -- for example, "The Lansburgh" in downtown DC, which (according to the site) has short term leases, pets allowed, and furnished apartments.  The prices may not be cheap ($1.5k-$2.5k per month), but for short term furnished housing in DC/NoVA, I wouldn't really expect them to be.
2L

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »
Oh, and if anybody finds any other pet-friendly furnished DC apartments, or sites that list them, I'd be happy to know what they are!
2L

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Cool, thanks a bunch guys.  Yeah, if the pet friendly thing doesn't work out at a price I want to pay, my husband will stay behind with the dogs... but we'd love to be together, obviously.  Not seeing him for 10 weeks last summer (bc airfare to/from Germany was super expensive) sucked.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Cool, thanks a bunch guys.  Yeah, if the pet friendly thing doesn't work out at a price I want to pay, my husband will stay behind with the dogs... but we'd love to be together, obviously.  Not seeing him for 10 weeks last summer (bc airfare to/from Germany was super expensive) sucked.

So you'd be willing to not see your husband for 10 weeks to save a bit of money from your biglaw paychecks?  If I had a spouse, I think I'd have a lot of trouble doing this given what the firms are paying.  I guess everyone's situation is different, though. 
2L

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »
No,  we'd see each other hopefully pretty frequently on weekends.  Plane tickets are pretty cheap.  I just meant that after last summer, we wanted to be together as much as possible this summer, not that we would go through something as dramatic as that again.

But the difference between being possibly being able to stay with friends for free versus getting an apartment adequate for two people and two dogs could be a big deal in terms of saving up for a house down payment, since we'd like to get one immediately upon my graduation.