Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer job and your pet?  (Read 1785 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Summer job and your pet?
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
I'll be moving to another city for the summer. I have a dog, and I was wondering if anyone else has brought their pet with them to the big city for the summer? I'd rather not leave her with friends/relatives, but I also think that not having to care for her over the summer will free me up more to participate in summer activities with the firm.

Any thoughts?
Vanderbilt 2010

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer job and your pet?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
It's expensive, but it might be worth it to you to pay for doggie daycare.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
I'm taking my dog with me.  I plan on finding a dog walking company that will only walk my dog on days I need them to (eg., days that there are events planned in the evening and I don't have time to stop home from work).  At least in DC, $20 should get you a 30-minute dog walk.
2L

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm going to DC, too, and I had considered the dog walking service... I'm just hoping to save money this summer so I can potentially start working on a down payment for a house once I graduate. Did I say house? I meant, shoebox-sized condo...

I was in DC last summer, but stayed with relatives in MD... the commute was horrible and I felt so guilty that I barely got to spend any time with the dog. (I know, once I start working I will be with the dog even less. But at least by then I can control living in closer proximity!)

At any rate, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one making a summer move with a pet. I just hate the idea of being without her for 12 weeks!

On that note... she's stealing socks from the laundry pile.... time for me to go fetch! (I am starting to wonder who owns who!)

Vanderbilt 2010

abevagoda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »
I live in the D.C. area and work full-time and attend law school at night.  I have a pup that is VERY demanding.  I have some good suggestions as to places to try to live and/or bring your dog.  Let me know if you are interested in any places. 

FWIW, i'm going to be moving to N.Y. for the summer to work as a SA.  My fiance will be brining the dog to doggy day care M-F (20-30 dollars per day) in the D.C. area.   

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »
I was in D.C. for 1L summer and NY for 2L summer with my 2 big dogs.  It meant making some sacrifices, but there was no way that I was going to ditch the pooches.  The best move I made during my 2L summer was hiring a dog walker to come for an hour a day, 5 days a week.  It meant that I could go straight to firm events and/or stay late at work and know that they had gotten their exercise and playtime.  It also meant an extra $600 a month, but them's the breaks. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

pdist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
I have to agree with much of what has been said here. I have a large dog, and I feel okay leaving her with my family for maybe a day or two but that is a huge burden on your friends/relatives for an entire summer because, lets face it, if you don't have a dog its either because you dont like them, can't afford them, or can't spend the time on them. My family doesnt mind watching the dog for short periods of time, but after a few days it becomes a real hassle and people have to shape their lives around the animals thus, I would recommend a dog-walker - its cheaper than daycare and you can rest assured your dog will get the exercise they need daily. That way when you have to stay that extra hour at the office you won't be silently freaking out thinking about how much misery your dog is in not having been walked for 12 hours.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »
I have to agree with much of what has been said here. I have a large dog, and I feel okay leaving her with my family for maybe a day or two but that is a huge burden on your friends/relatives for an entire summer because, lets face it, if you don't have a dog its either because you dont like them, can't afford them, or can't spend the time on them. My family doesnt mind watching the dog for short periods of time, but after a few days it becomes a real hassle and people have to shape their lives around the animals thus, I would recommend a dog-walker - its cheaper than daycare and you can rest assured your dog will get the exercise they need daily. That way when you have to stay that extra hour at the office you won't be silently freaking out thinking about how much misery your dog is in not having been walked for 12 hours.

Yeah, dumping a dog on someone for 3 months is a huge burden for them.  I may have to do it for a couple of weeks sometimes if I'm involved in litigation, but if I do, I'd want to compensate them.

That, plus I can't really fathom not having my dog around for 3 months.
2L

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »
Brought my girl to NYC.  Luckily, I had friends in the area to help with walks, so it wasn't much of a problem.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Hey Now

• Sr. Citizen
  • This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:08:26 AM »
A vet can solve this problem.
Law School Yeah