Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's so hard  (Read 2717 times)

stayfocused

• View Profile
    • Email
It's so hard
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
I'm a non traditional student and I work full time.  I have to kids ages 2 and 6.  I find it so hard to study, because I don't know how to study I never learned how.  I'm very determined to go to law school, but I really feel like I'm sinking fast.  I just started school and my GPA is 2.75 and I just wanted to know how to study or priotize my time to get higher grades.  Please help I feel so defeated and I just don't know how to study or write papers.  I can't even test good.

TimMitchell

Re: It's so hard
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
This is a really complicated problem that could have a hole host of causes. My best guess would be your workload, are you trying to tackle too many classes? It would be impossible for someone to give you the right answers without knowing why you aren't doing well. My advice would be to talk to your professors and counselors, I'm sure this a problem they have encountered 100x before. However, if you want to go to law school you'll be able too, but a low GPA is going to eliminate you from many top choices before you even take the LSAT. How many credits do you have so far? Plenty of people have poor grades in their first year so don't get too worried about it, just know that you will have to do very well in the rest of your courses.

Don't get too stressed about it, take a deep breath and find out why you aren't doing well.

stayfocused

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:13 PM »
 I'm in a accelerated program so I have 1 class every week, but the classes are 4 hours and you have a lot of work to do over the course of a week.

TimMitchell

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
I was also in a program like this while working full-time. It can be difficult and I felt like I could have a much higher GPA if I took it slower. However, I really wanted to start law school ASAP so taking the 3.6 GPA wasn't too bad. However, if law school is your goal you need to focus on maintaining a high GPA. Even though my 3.6 is good it is marginal for the best law schools and now I have to work extra hard on my LSAT to try and compensate. You'd be better off slowing down and getting a higher GPA, IMO

externalaw

• Boo
    • View Profile
    • For the  Law student
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
3 kids here, 2 3 and 4 year old boys!

Starting soon, doing the degree by correspondence.. I am in total panic to as to how to organize my time for family, full-time job (self employed) and doing the degree.

Best thing is to share ideas!
I frequent the following law student support forum
www.externalaw.com

picflight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »
3 kids here, 2 3 and 4 year old boys!

Starting soon, doing the degree by correspondence.. I am in total panic to as to how to organize my time for family, full-time job (self employed) and doing the degree.

Best thing is to share ideas!

Care to share what correspondence school you are using? Thanks.

erbilliards

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
I'm a non-trad with two small children. I work approx. 50 hours/week. I went back to school with about 60 credits earned in my youth. I completed 68 more credits in the last year and a half with a 3.8 or so. I am lucky enough to have a good, supportive spouse which has made a virtually impossible schedule possible. I thought I'd share some of what I experienced/learned:
      make a point of going to see your instructor early and often in the semester for help even if you don't really need it, it shows your putting forth a proactive effort and many times they are forthcoming with what information/work in the class is most important/will be tested.
      make ridiculously efficient use of your time. i read notes and did work every lunch break/before work/after work,taped lectures that I could listen to while driving etc. I enjoy my family immensely and time with my two daughters is very dear to me. The demanding schedule will infringe somewhat on family time. The only way I could fight back was to use every unproductive spare moment of my work day to work on school. Time with my daughters energizes, refreshes and inspires me, it helps me push through and persevere.

See if your school (undergrad), another school that will transfer, has 'winter term courses'. I found these courses available in the SUNY NY network of schools and was able to knock out an entire semester of 'fluff' courses in about 3 weeks.
      Just thought I'd pass along some thoughts from my journey for better or worse. I have not yet decided if I will or will not continue on to law school. I've decided to spend the next 6-8 months passing the CPA exam and doing my best to ace the LSAT. The time and financial commitment necessary for law school is soooooo daunting....
      Best wishes and goodluck

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 03:14:01 AM »
Studying:

For me, it was a problem just sitting down and doing homework.  So I bought an egg timer and set it for 15 mins.  15 on 15 off until I got comfortable; then I just increased the time.  Until you get comfortable you will have to rely on cramming too.

Papers:

You can't have enough detail.  And there is no shame in repeating yourself in order to prove/make your point.  Most teachers don't really care what you have to say as long as you can back it up with something resembling reason.