Law School Discussion

Client Counseling Competition

Client Counseling Competition
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:12:10 PM »
Would it be incorrect to assume many schools have the client counseling competition as a part of their Society of Advocates programs?  Anyone out there who has competed and/or done well in this competition?  The competition seems rather ambiguous at the moment, and any insight into your past experiences is much appreciated!

Re: Client Counseling Competition
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »
Many schools have this competition and there are regional/national competitions for it.  I competed in this competition my last year of law school because I already had quite a bit of experience with client counseling through the clinic.  It is a great competition, because there is really little preparation required.  Just know that there is little objective way to judge a client counseling competition (other than making sure you hit the points that must be discussed such as discussing the rule 1.6 duty of confidentiality that you owe to the client).  If your school does not provide you with any helpful materials, a brief overview of professional responsibility might be useful.

I had a fun time doing the competition and we did well, but didn't win it at my school.  It was actually a little funny as a 1st year team won it.  Honestly, a lot of the competition comes down to the style that a particular judge prefers.  Since all of our judges were practicing attorneys, each judge had their own personal style they liked.

I remember the most difficult part was determining which member of the team would do what. Both of us were in the clinic and used to just interviewing clients by ourselves.