Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ...  (Read 4789 times)

Hookem

• View Profile
Re: 7 callbacks, 6 rejections
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »
7 straight weeks of Austin/NYC flights for twelve Big law callbacks. Seemed to go well but only 2 offers (for which I am grateful). So relieved it is over.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »
My guess is that they see through my resume and know that I want to prosecute and not work for a firm. 

If this is the case, it's your fault.  If your interview skills are as great as you say they are, interviewers would have absolutely no doubt you wanted a firm gig.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 02:57:17 AM »
My guess is that they see through my resume and know that I want to prosecute and not work for a firm. 

If this is the case, it's your fault.  If your interview skills are as great as you say they are, interviewers would have absolutely no doubt you wanted a firm gig.

I'm mostly going to side with Jacy on this one, although the economy is also clearly a factor as well.  During OCI last year, I know a few talented and personable students who ended up with very few offers because they clearly were not that interested in working for a firm (they just wanted the summer associate position to make some easy money).  These people--of which the OP appears to be one--had a difficult time articulating why they wanted to work for a firm... since they actually didn't.  Most ended up with a few offers. One, whose grades were awful, ended up with none.

The difference is, with firms cutting back summer hiring by as much as 35%, firms are no longer going to take a chance on marginal candidates.  In this financial environment, they certainly don't want to throw away $70k recruiting a student who won't accept a full-time offer.

Incidentally, the friend with no firm offer had a great summer at a DA's office, but has no job because the DA is in the midst of a hiring freeze.  So if you go the DA route, search for one with solid funding.

I am officially a law school graduate : )

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
You probably got rejected because none of the people you met with wanted to work with you.  8)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
Not really getting my hopes up on the 7th.  T10, middle of class, very personable/excellent interviewer. This economy sucks.  End rant. 

Standard.  It's tough out there.