Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard vs Yale?  (Read 1989 times)

tmonmon

• View Profile
Harvard vs Yale?
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
I've read on posts from several forums that people frequently chose HLS over YLS. I know rankings aren't the be all end all, but what are some substantive differences between Harvard and Yale Law that applicants use to make their decisions?

bachlava

• View Profile
Re: Harvard vs Yale?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:27 PM »
The very esteemed professor that I work as an RA for at NYU Law, who taught at Harvard for several years and still holds a lifetime chair there, told me that unless you want to be an academic, choose Harvard over Yale.  That is his opinion, and not mine, and he didn't specify why that is, but I trust him.
Schroeder: georgetown, duke, michigan, chicago, nyu, harvard, columbia
Charlie Brown: penn, cornell
Pigpen: yale

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
If you have been honored with the opportunity to make a decision between these schools, you should visit both schools, speak with students and faculty at both schools, and ask yourself what is important to you.  You may very well know most of your classmates at Yale, while you might only know your section at Harvard. 

They are both outstanding schools, and the job opportunities (academic, public, and private) are as endless from both as they can be from any law school.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
If you're looking to do international work and/or work overseas, Harvard Law is more highly regarded/recognized in many foreign countries.

Source: Vague recollection of something somebody said on LSD last cycle.  Yeah, it's that good.

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
Both of them are "can't miss." Right now, though, I think the Yale mystique is worth a lot in the job market. I think Harvard will be gaining ground on Yale, as HLS follows the lead of Yale and Stanford in abolishing grades.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
Keep in mind that since Harvard has larger entering classes, they have a larger alumni base.  There are far more Harvard grads in influential positions (numerically speaking) than Yale grads - it is just a simple function of their relative sizes.  Moreover, there tends to be a rivalry between Harvard and Yale students and grads.  Therefore, if you want a better shot at having a leg-up through alumni connections, Harvard is probably the better place to go.

If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
Why choose Yale over Harvard?

Two words: New Haven

fixt.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »

theD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
When I was at Harvard, I used to hear all kinds of negative stuff about New Haven, but truth be told, the area around Yale isn't bad.  In fact, I'd say its better than the area around Harvard in terms of stuff to do.

I do agree however that NY>All, especially Boston.

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
So you found Boston to be pretty lame?