Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am not that concerned with making a waitress' or bartenders life easy...  (Read 1691 times)

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Now, don't get me wrong.  I am not the type of person that is rude or continually asks for things, but I have this friend that is borderline obsessed with making the server's job as easy as possible.  Every time we go out this guy insists on putting everything on one bill and then figuring out who pays cash to who.  Then if someone doesn't have cash they owe your $20 or $40, and you have to remind them about it later.  Or then I have to spend 15 minutes going by the ATM on my way to work the next day.  And it never works out right anyway, one guy is always drinking grey goose sprinkled with diamond dust while I am drinking coors light, and they always split the bill evenly.  So then my $20 diner and two beers ends up as $75 on my credit card, and after reminding Mr. Grey Goose for two weeks about the $37.50 he owes me, he finally hands me $28 dollars and calls it even.  All because my buddy insists that the waitress should not have to spend 3 minutes splitting the bill up.

When I was a waiter I split the bill up automatically between the couples, or if it was a bunch of single people.  The only time I would bring one bill out is if one person at the table was obviously older and likely to pay the whole tab.

If you are that guy, stop it.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You missed the point entirely.  I am complaining about my friend insisting that I waste my time to save the time of a person who I am paying to serve me, and whose job it is to do so.  I don't give a damn about $9.50.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It is also a little bit about sloppyness and entitlement.  If three dudes who are all the same age walk up to the bar and order wings and beers, the bartender should just keep their tabs seperate to begin with.  Don't expect your customers to even up between themselves to save your minimal brain exertion. 

Would an attorney ask his client to just forget about a legal claim to save himself the trouble of addressing it?  Would a dentist ask his client to have tooth pulled to save himself the trouble of filling a cavity?

Considering I always tip more then 20%, I think the waitress can spend 2 minutes of her time to save me 15 minutes.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
I'm with you.  And I think the 2-3 minute estimate to split the bill is way off...I think it takes them about 15 seconds, and it only involves a few keystrokes on the P.O.S. terminal.  

I also hate it when people pay $27 for their $38 share, or whatever it comes out to.  Yeah, it's not about the money, it's principle.  They tend to add up the menu price of their items, forget about tax, one of their drinks, that they also shared the appetizers, etc.  It's rude.  

I just stop the problem before it has a chance to materialize.  As the server is taking the drink orders, when he gets to me, I say, "I'll have a coke; oh, and these will be separate tabs."  

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
It takes you 15 minutes to go to the ATM?

That sucks.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Try making everyone's life easier and use the calculator that is on pretty much every cell phone on the planet to figure out exactly what you owe, plus tax and tip, then plop it down on the table and start talking about something interesting.  If they don't like it, force them to explain why, loudly, so everyone can hear why the guy who should owe $28 ends up paying $75.  If they don't like that, stop eating dinner with these a-holes and find some cooler friends.

It takes literally 3 minutes tops for four people to figure out exactly what each one owes.  As for the credit card/ATM bull, here's an idea - if you are going to dinner, make sure you have 1 twenty, 1 ten, 2 fives, and ten singles.  If you think you're going to spend more than $50 on dinner for yourself (you aren't a big fat guy, are you?) bring an extra twenty and treat yourself to the extra surf and turf.  Once upon a time, they didn't have credit cards or ATM's (OMG SRSLY?!?!?!!!!! LOL) and people used specially marked paper and metal called "money" to exchange for goods and services.  They carried some of this "money" when they went out for entertainment or meals. 

When they see you've put down a reasonable amount, they should follow suit.  If not, maybe you have bad friends who need to be punished.  In that case, wait until the bill comes, say "Hey, isn't that Kanye West over there?", and run like hell.

That'll learn 'em.

Or, be a pal and ask the waiter to keep you on a separate check.  You can do this discreetly if you are afraid your friends might find out that you don't like paying for some dickwad's expensive cocktails and steak by approaching the waiter shortly after you order your drink while on the way to the bathroom.

I dealt with this when I was 16, so take some advice from a pro - if someone doesn't have enough to pay for their full share, loan them twenty bucks (which you'd have in your pocket if you carried cash) and tell them to pay you back later.

Most of all, the best lesson here is that you should always carry some cash.  Period.  Credit cards and ATM/Debit cards are great, but money is accepted everywhere.  Literally.

I haven't left the house with less than $50 in my wallet since I was 18 years old.  Try it.  You'll have fewer problem like this.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Try making everyone's life easier...

::underrated post of the day::
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
Once upon a time, they didn't have credit cards or ATM's (OMG SRSLY?!?!?!!!!! LOL) and people used specially marked paper and metal called "money" to exchange for goods and services.  They carried some of this "money" when they went out for entertainment or meals. 

And once upon a time men wore codpieces.  But I'll bet you use more modern methods of covering your genitals, don't you, even though no one is forbidding you from wearing a codpiece. 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Try making everyone's life easier and use the calculator that is on pretty much every cell phone on the planet to figure out exactly what you owe, plus tax and tip, then plop it down on the table and start talking about something interesting.  If they don't like it, force them to explain why, loudly, so everyone can hear why the guy who should owe $28 ends up paying $75.  If they don't like that, stop eating dinner with these a-holes and find some cooler friends.

It takes literally 3 minutes tops for four people to figure out exactly what each one owes.  As for the credit card/ATM bull, here's an idea - if you are going to dinner, make sure you have 1 twenty, 1 ten, 2 fives, and ten singles.  If you think you're going to spend more than $50 on dinner for yourself (you aren't a big fat guy, are you?) bring an extra twenty and treat yourself to the extra surf and turf.  Once upon a time, they didn't have credit cards or ATM's (OMG SRSLY?!?!?!!!!! LOL) and people used specially marked paper and metal called "money" to exchange for goods and services.  They carried some of this "money" when they went out for entertainment or meals. 

When they see you've put down a reasonable amount, they should follow suit.  If not, maybe you have bad friends who need to be punished.  In that case, wait until the bill comes, say "Hey, isn't that Kanye West over there?", and run like hell.

That'll learn 'em.

Or, be a pal and ask the waiter to keep you on a separate check.  You can do this discreetly if you are afraid your friends might find out that you don't like paying for some dickwad's expensive cocktails and steak by approaching the waiter shortly after you order your drink while on the way to the bathroom.

I dealt with this when I was 16, so take some advice from a pro - if someone doesn't have enough to pay for their full share, loan them twenty bucks (which you'd have in your pocket if you carried cash) and tell them to pay you back later.

Most of all, the best lesson here is that you should always carry some cash.  Period.  Credit cards and ATM/Debit cards are great, but money is accepted everywhere.  Literally.

I haven't left the house with less than $50 in my wallet since I was 18 years old.  Try it.  You'll have fewer problem like this.

A long diatribe about nothing...

People really get hot and bothered before they even comprehend what is being said.  I don't have any problem telling a waitress to separate a bill, I have a problem with people who are opposed to asking the waitress to do so.  Does that clear things up?

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

That'll learn 'em.

A long diatribe about nothing...

People really get hot and bothered before they even comprehend what is being said.  I don't have any problem telling a waitress to separate a bill, I have a problem with people who are opposed to asking the waitress to do so.  Does that clear things up?

Not a diatribe (and certainly not long!).  I was injecting humor into the discussion.

The truth is, you have a problem with your friends.  They appear to be feminine hygiene product's who don't like the idea of splitting checks.  People who are opposed to asking servers to split tabs are morons.
Go get new friends.  The one's you have are taking advantage of you.