Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT we tire ourselves out by pointlessly debating which firms qualify as "elite"  (Read 1903 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Should we limit the "elite" category to just Wachtell?  Throw in Cravath and Williams & Connolly?  How about Munger, Irell, Keker and Bartlit Beck?  Or is this a ridiculously narrow definition of "elite" firm?

What do YOU think?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If the firm routinely hires from outside the T14 (minus GULC), then it is TTT.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Who gives a damn?  I will never understand why anyone would care about this.  If your firm pays well, has a good quality of living,gives you opportunity for advancement, and has skilled attorneys, why would it matter?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
While advanced in your thinking, you're one year ahead of your self.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Who gives a damn?  I will never understand why anyone would care about this.  If your firm pays well, has a good quality of living,gives you opportunity for advancement, and has skilled attorneys, why would it matter?

Exit options.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Exit options.

I was a little surprised to hear this coming from you.

Why?

My answer as to why you would care about prestige when you already think/know that there are smart/skilled lawyers doing interesting work is that your exit options might be different. Prestige for its own sake is silly. Prestige for the sake of its practical implications, aka, exit options, is probably the best argument for caring. Doesn't mean it's a winner. It's just the best answer to NoUsername's question, IMO.

I guess interesting work with smart people would be the other reason, but I don't think that maps onto prestige the way it's supposed to.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The other thing would be that in this economy, if you figure the more prestigious firms will continue to succeed where some of the less prestigious firms will suffer.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Exit options.

I was a little surprised to hear this coming from you.

Why?

My answer as to why you would care about prestige when you already think/know that there are smart/skilled lawyers doing interesting work is that your exit options might be different. Prestige for its own sake is silly. Prestige for the sake of its practical implications, aka, exit options, is probably the best argument for caring. Doesn't mean it's a winner. It's just the best answer to NoUsername's question, IMO.

I guess interesting work with smart people would be the other reason, but I don't think that maps onto prestige the way it's supposed to.

I guess I was just surprised that there wasn't some kind of disclaimer about how excessive elitism is bad.  Or something.  I dunno.

I didn't realize I had to expressly disclaim it. I think that giving a reason beyond "because they're elite!" is getting away from elitism, myself, but next time I'll make sure I apologize excessively first before trying to engage in a discussion about why allegedly sensible people get sucked into thinking they should care about these things. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I didn't realize I had to expressly disclaim it. I think that giving a reason beyond "because they're elite!" is getting away from elitism, myself, but next time I'll make sure I apologize excessively first before trying to engage in a discussion about why allegedly sensible people get sucked into thinking they should care about these things. 

I wasn't trying to be critical or anything, you know.  :-[

::looks at shoes::

I know, but sometimes I feel like you have this idea of what I'm going to think or say that is... not what I'm going to think or say. Just sayin'  :)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't even know what to think anymore after goaliechica mentioned "exit options."  I wasn't prepared for that, either.   ???