Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for 1Ls from a 2L  (Read 4390 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice for 1Ls from a 2L
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »
Landing a biglaw gig as a 1L is very difficult but don't despair.

1. Study hard, grades get you in the door. The lower ranked your school, the higher your grades will need to be.
2. Apply as a 1L, even though you will likely not get a job absent attending a very top law school or having connections.

I nevertheless recommend applying to firms as a 1L, especially local ones.
I attended a T4 and was able to get a callback to a local V25. While I didn't get the job as a 1L, I was able to skip OCI and go in for an immediate callback as a 2L. My grades dipped a little bit second semester, and I doubt I would have even gotten a screening interview for OCI as a 2L. As far as I know, I am the only one from my school who got a callback. Unfortunately, I didn't get the SA positiona as a 2L either. But I did get the experience of doing at least one callback so I knew what to expect when OCI rolled around.

Over the summer after 1L go to nalpdirectory.com and assemble a spreadsheet of firms that you would like to apply to that don't intervierw on campus. In early to mid august send out resumes, an individualized cover letter (a lot of work but can't hurt), at least one writing sample (I sent out two), and an unofficial transcript to the firms you are considering. Professionally format your documents as pdf files (free software available online).

Wait patiently and update your spreadsheet, hope for the best, and don't get discouraged. Competition is fierce. I have been on callbacks where I was told the firm was looking to hire 3 people and was bringing in 40 people for callbacks.

Good Luck!

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for 1Ls from a 2L
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
This is depressing.  I'm going back to outlining CivPro now.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »
Can I have some of your motivation to outline CivPro please? thanks.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
I would take motivation for writing a memo.  I think I'd rather outline.  Not sure which one is worse, though.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
I actually enjoy writing my memo. In fact, I'm about to do that now so I can parlay that motivation into motivation for outlining.

We'll see how this turns out. I really just want to nap.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
I'm actually not doing so poorly.  I've outlined the whole thing, including all my cites.  Now, just requires me writing it up in a more coherent manner.  Lucky me!  We should talk about outline another time.  I'd be interested in knowing how other 1L's plan on going about this.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
::butts in::

I don't enjoy memoing. I'm forced to completely alter my long-practiced writing style to conform to the preferences of someone who may not even know what the hell she's talking about.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
::butts in::

I don't enjoy memoing. I'm forced to completely alter my long-practiced writing style to conform to the preferences of someone who may not even know what the hell she's talking about.

I don't mind it.  I know it's necessary to learn the "way" to write in a legal context.  But, I feel that there are more ways than what I'm being taught.  Some things, to me, don't seem to clarify the process and I would rather use a different method (while, of course, being clear, on point, and making good arguments).

I also want to rock my Legal Writing class so that I can have a good memo as my writing sample.

I personally find doing cites tedious.  Even if I can get into the substance of writing, the cite work is a pain (a pain I'm willing to endure for you, Law Review).

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
I actually enjoy writing my memo. In fact, I'm about to do that now so I can parlay that motivation into motivation for outlining.

We'll see how this turns out. I really just want to nap.

I agree with you.  Because I enjoyed writing my memo -- moreso the writing than research -- I feel good about my career choice.  Actual lawyers, especially litigators, do LRW more than anything else in law school.  I don't understand how my classmates "hated" the memo but expect to become lawyers.  Maybe they'll do corporate?   :P

Lack of outlining motivation may mean that you're using the wrong tactics.  I don't brief.  My CivPro outline is mostly FRCP with some random comments and notes thrown it.  The real advantage to the outline is that I feel like I'm finally learning rules like Rule 8(c), and 4(m), rather than the big 12(b)6 ones.

You probably shouldn't do anything that feels bad and yet is optional.  I hated briefing, so I stopped.  Regardless, I feel like I understand the cases as well as anyone because I read them twice. 

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Update: I took a two hour nap. Ugh!

I stopped briefing many weeks ago. I liked it, but just didn't see enough long-term benefit. Now I just highlight, make margin notes (very small ones summarizing), and then I take notes on the stuff the professor says during class (while adding in a few facts and the holding in my notes). It's working out really well, particularly in Contracts. I have a large chunk of that outline finished already.

My lack of motivation for the civ pro outlines comes from other things, like being tired at 330 every day (and then giving in despite knowing that my body isn't actually tired just used to taking naps) and knowing that it still is actually quite early in the semester to be outlining. Once I get rolling it'll all flow well I'm sure.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011