Law School Discussion

"Initial Review" = Held?

"Initial Review" = Held?
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
"We have completed an initial review of your application. Your file will receive further evaluation, and you will be notified once a decision is made. There is no set time frame for the completion of this process."

Does this mean I'm being held? Should I send in more info?

Re: "Initial Review" = Held?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »
It's only October, I think it's a little early to send in more info.  They are waiting for their big wave of October LSAT takers to apply, which is why they won't make a decision yet because they don't know what you'll be up against.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »
I'm assuming this is at Duke. I got the same thing.

I initially thought I was held as well, but now that I think about it, it's way too early in the cycle for a hold/deferral to make sense for a non-priority track applicant. It almost seems like they're throwing us who applied early a bone...saying that "we haven't forgot you."

Why defer non-PT before you start accepting/rejecting non-PT people?

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
I got the same status update too, at Duke.  I called the admissions people and this thing sounds like a deferral.  I asked whether there were other applicants who were accepted without this intermediary status update, and the guy said that some strong applicants were accepted after the initial review.  He tried to assure me not to read too much into this, that it was not negative.  But it sounded like they just wanted to play the field.  At one point he said that they have received around 500 applications thus far and are expecting around 5,000...so...they will re-review our applications in time.  He said he didn't want to alarm applicants with this status update, they were actually trying to keep us updated.  But this sure makes me feel worse than the "Application is complete. No decision has been made." status.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
P.S. Admissions guy said that Duke does not have a formal deferral status.

Coqui

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »
the good news it seems from his comment is that for class of 2011 the # of applicants were slightly over 6000...so maybe they are not expecting much of change on the # than last year due to the economy.  at least I hope!

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
I got the same status update too, at Duke.  I called the admissions people and this thing sounds like a deferral.  I asked whether there were other applicants who were accepted without this intermediary status update, and the guy said that some strong applicants were accepted after the initial review.  He tried to assure me not to read too much into this, that it was not negative.  But it sounded like they just wanted to play the field.  At one point he said that they have received around 500 applications thus far and are expecting around 5,000...so...they will re-review our applications in time.  He said he didn't want to alarm applicants with this status update, they were actually trying to keep us updated.  But this sure makes me feel worse than the "Application is complete. No decision has been made." status.

It doesn't sound too bad, although there are a few people I know of who got this status who should be autoadmits.

Also, if I ran a law school, I'm not sure if making applicants feel like backup prom dates would be the way I wanted to go about it.

Oh, and has Duke's website been down for anyone else? I keep getting "Address Not Found." Has been that way since yesterday.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
It's been working for my here on the eastern seaboard. p.s. I agree with you Cornellgirl. I would've been happier with just the "under review" thing rather than "ouch. not a first round draft pick" update. lol.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
Why should we assume that the initial batch of applicants the Duke rep said were accepted weren't PT?  Duke kind of tries to keep the PT secret, and there's been only one individual claiming a non-PT acceptance (and that seems sketchy).  Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »
I'll weigh in on it, since I think I might be the one sketchy acceptance you're referring to  ;)

I received a fee waiver but no offer of PT, and never signed up for it on Duke's website. After I got the decision so early I went back to the fee waiver email to see if I was priority track and somehow hadn't noticed it, but I wasn't.  Also, I wasn't accepted until about a month after I went complete, which is too long for a PT application.
I'm kind of weirded out that no other non-PT people on LSD have heard back so I've been reading and re-reading the email I got from Bill Hoye with the fear that its some sort of mistake. But I can log into the accepted students website, so I'm pretty sure its for real! 

I hope that clears up at least part of the mystery. If you want I can PM you the text of the email.