Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone just happy to get in anywhere?  (Read 2032 times)

Y2KELZ

• View Profile
Anyone just happy to get in anywhere?
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
I'm 44, with a 3.4 GPA but weak practice LSAT scores (I take the test in Dec08) I've seen the posts and researched the importance of getting into a Tier 1 or 2 school. But was anyone out there just happy to get into law schol and willing to make the move anywhere in the country no matter if its a T4?

Kel

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone just happy to get in anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
I'm also 44, but with a 2.85 (circa 1986) GPA.  I took the LSAT three times in order to obtain a T1-acceptable LSAT, as I didn't want to burden my family (and myself) with huge debt and lowered job prospects, especially at my age. (I have some pretty strong softs as well, which may help.)

Had I not reached my goal (165 or better) I would have passed on law school and rethought my future.  But I want to go into academia and public interest law, both of which are school-prestige dependent.  I suspect if you are willing to practice law for the sake of practicing, and you aren't concerned with tremendous debt, than, yes, being happy to be accepted anywhere is perfectly fine.  It just wasn't worth the trade-offs for my family in my case.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Shoei23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »
I don't think you'll have many people admit here, but I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 43, a minority & veteran and looking to start in fall 2009 after I finish my bachelors in may 2009. I currently have a 3.5GPA. I took the LSAT in October and my practice tests with Kaplan had me scoring from 140-145. So unless I completely overperformed on the LSAT (unlikely) I'm looking at a Tier 4 school. I don't think I have the time to put off school for another year to improve my score. I used to live in Florida and want to attend school there. I live in the midwest so I'm actually open to anywhere in the south who'll have me.

Y2KELZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply. To make matters worse my husband is considering law school as well. Only one of us can attend at a time. I've read some posts where some families can handle it...our budget cannot.

I know its a dirty word, but I even considered Concord in the event my husband gets accepted. We've agreed whomever has the better scores and gets into the better school will go.

dutchtowner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »
I'm 44, with a 3.4 GPA but weak practice LSAT scores (I take the test in Dec08) I've seen the posts and researched the importance of getting into a Tier 1 or 2 school. But was anyone out there just happy to get into law schol and willing to make the move anywhere in the country no matter if its a T4?

Kel

most of the advice I've received is to prep for the test as much as possible.  I'm scheduled for Dec too but if I don't start scoring in the high 150's on practice tests I plan to cancel taking the test.  I'm 51 but believe now that the test score is extremely important.....important enough to wait another year if need be.

I've also been told to not be discouraged by low early test scores.

Dutch

lipslikesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »
I am just happy to get anywhere :)
We have two kids, a big house, my husband is about to finish his residency and we are ready to move out of state! ;D

steelerfan82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:02:43 AM »
I guess I'll be happy too.  :D

Although, I don't know if I would want to move. Right now, I live in NY. I don't really want to leave for several reasons. But if I get into a T4, I won't complain.
GO STEELERS!