Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: canceling a callback  (Read 1452 times)

Megara

• View Profile
canceling a callback
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
So i have a callback on Tuesday in a city and with a firm that i am no longer interested in.  Should i go on the callback?  I made the plane reservations(no hotel) last weeks before i came to the conclusion that i do not want to be in that city,  so i feel a little like a male private part for wanting to cancel, but it seems like a waste of money if i would not accept an offer with the firm.   

Any advice on whether i should go or cancel on monday morning?

MissyMakeBelief

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: canceling a callback
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
Do you have another offer that you can accept?  I think that if you are sure that you do not want to be in the city, I would call the recruiting coordinator first thing in the morning on Monday and explain to her that you have accepted another offer and that you want to cancel your callback.  Be advised though - the recruiting coordinator is likely to ask what firm you picked over them.

Hope that helps!

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »
I am not ready to accent an offer yet.  I still have to hear from 3 firms(none in that city).   So does that suggest i should go since i cannot yet accept an offer?

lexvitae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 04:25:02 PM »
I would probably go because of the plane ticket.  I canceled several local callbacks, but I would feel bad for the money they wasted if I didn't go and there was a chance that I would work there.  With that said, if you are 100% positive you don't want to work there, by going on the callback you are just wasting more of their money by taking up the attorney's time.  If you cancel it will be very awkward to do without saying that you have another offer that you intend to accept.  They will definitely ask where.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »
Ok.  thanks all

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
I think if you don't want to go to the firm, you should cancel. Otherwise, you are wasting everyone's time. While the firm may have to eat the plane ticket, it is worse if you are wasting others time. At my school, our career services people tell us to cancel if we are no longer interested, even if a plane ticket is involved.

However, I guess there might have been something about the firm/city that let you book the trip in the first place. Maybe if you go, you will end up liking it? I think if you do end up going, you should keep an open mind.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »
Couldn't tell from your posts, but I think if you don't have any offers, you shouldn't cancel anything.

Yeah, I agree. I assumed you had an offer. If you have nothing, I would go.