Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lack of motivation in 2L  (Read 7020 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: lack of motivation in 2L
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
ha ha wait until youre 3Ls if you think its bad now

Seriously.  The apathy gets so much worse.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
Absolutely agree about 3L. Apathy. Boredom. Watching your life waste away minute by minute while you sit in class.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
Is it really that bad?  Couldn't you explore areas of law that you left previously uncharted?  As a 1L, I'm really looking forward to family law, admin, tax, water law . . . the upperclassman courses sound way more interesting than Torts and CivPro.

Moreover, I don't want to be a jerk, but boredom means that, in a sense, you're boring.  Upperclassman can do everything from working part-time at a firm, to helping out at a clinic, to enjoying an eight month bender while they wait for "life" to begin.  I can't imagine a more exciting time.  You have only yourselves to blame for the apathy.

You're a 1L...what can you possibly know about what its like to be a 3L?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »
Is it really that bad?  Couldn't you explore areas of law that you left previously uncharted?  As a 1L, I'm really looking forward to family law, admin, tax, water law . . . the upperclassman courses sound way more interesting than Torts and CivPro.

Moreover, I don't want to be a jerk, but boredom means that, in a sense, you're boring.  Upperclassman can do everything from working part-time at a firm, to helping out at a clinic, to enjoying an eight month bender while they wait for "life" to begin.  I can't imagine a more exciting time.  You have only yourselves to blame for the apathy.

Jacy you have been on LSD long enough to know that having actually experienced something for one’s self has never been a prerequisite for giving advice here, unfortunately.   
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your comment strikes me as combative and absurd. 

funny how you succeeded, though.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
No kidding, I think what we have here is a bona fide gunner. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »

This is silly.  I may be a 1L, but I know fulfilled 3Ls.  One is taking higher-level courses at the GSB.  Another is doing service work.  A third is highly involved with Fed Soc.  I don't see them posting on LSD about how hard it is to be a motivated 3L, do I?  No.  That's because they found other things beyond classwork to satisfy them.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your comment strikes me as combative and absurd.  If you're having motivation troubles, you have nobody to blame but yourself.  When I was five, my mom told me that bored people are boring.  It's an exciting world once you put yourself out there.

FFS, dude. You are being a complete a-hole for no apparent reason.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
All right, I apologize for my earlier remarks.  I just know a few 3Ls who seem pretty happy.  I guess it's hard to say anything unless you've walked in the other person's shoes.  It might also vary from school to school.  An Emory 3L might be apathetic; a Vandy 3L might be ecstatic.

I hope that any apathy is lifted and that everyone here is happy by the end of the year.  Good luck, everyone.  Sorry, again.  No hard feelings.   :-[

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
I don't think lack of motivation to do your class reading or journal assignment translates to being generally bored with life or even with your career in law.  Especially not when you've just gone through an exhausting month or two of interviews and traveling.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
Wow- I usually dont post much anymore, but I had to laugh at Another Chicago 1L. Who is, a... 1L! Who knows absolutely nothing about life after 1L, except for what the 2L's and 3L's tell them.

Like original poster, I also am unmotivated as a 2L- actually almost everyone I know, from 2L to 3L is as well just because 3L's are more focused on the bar or finding that job if they haven't already, and us 2L's are focused on jobs and whatever we are doing part time (clinics, fellowships, internships, etc). I havent read Evidence basically all semester, and its not like it matters because unlike 1L, I dont care if I get called on anymore. I know how to write an exam and most of mine this semester are take home anyway. Also, at least at my school, there is no longer a curve after 1L so it just adds to the motivation factor.
And I dont think the school that you go to- Vandy or Emory- has anything to do with it.

Just my .02, I'll go back into the shadows now.
UMiami c/o 2010