Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lsat Proctor DVD... Couldn't they use a better model?  (Read 2464 times)

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
Re: Lsat Proctor DVD... Couldn't they use a better model?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:52:41 AM »
There is no way that looking at a monitor and hearing some noises through your speakers will prepare you any better than just straight up taking the PT's in timed situations by yourself.  If you feel the need to be in situations where you'll have people making occasional noises, go to the library to take the PT's.

This thing is highway robbery.  Almost as bad as the watch they sell.

The whole, "Someone telling me when to start and stop is helpful!" is ridiculous.  Have your friend proctor you or something.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
I feel compelled to write in response to these posts. I do not understand the foundations for the negative commentary that is aimed at the LSAT Proctor title. It seems rather ungrounded.

Having purchased the DVD and then subsequently utilizing it for my LSAT studies (around a year ago), I feel that I am in a good position to express my thoughts on the title.

I started off my long journey with much anxiety. There was some sort of metaphorical hurdle that was keeping me within the low range. I felt comfortable with the concepts and modes of attacking the stems, but I had massive time management issues. I forget how I heard about the title, but when I did discover it I was instantly intrigued by the concept behind LSAT Proctor.

I purchased the older version, and although the DVD music/art/menu was a bit ‘corny,’ the substance and the idea that is the foundation of the title are quite powerful.

Basically, you are given an opportunity to take a full exam at any time you want (no need to rely on the presence of friends or family). Arguably accurate recreation or simulation of the very atmosphere that the test-takers will experience is what makes this title unique. Just as in actual testing conditions, the LSAT Proctor refocuses the energy of the test-taker into answering the questions correctly – the software takes away the necessity to set timers and request proctoring from friends (I know my friends are not going to sit around for hours on end).

To top it off, the LSAT Proctor is not simply a DVD… the DVD basically comes with a classroom, fellow test-takers, and a pretty mean proctor (at least from what I remember). I’m not sure if the female proctor takes a softer tone with the test-takers, but that is for you folks to see.

I just don’t get where all this negative criticism is coming from. People have their own ways of studying, not everyone is a genius like you folks purport to be. Many people require visual/ auditory aids. The DVD put me at ease to a certain extent, I came into the testing room feeling as though I have been there before – this alone made the DVD worth the price in my opinion. Ultimately it is my opinion, and we all have the liberty to disagree... so long as it is justified.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
cliff007, which DVD version of the LSAT Proctor did you purchase -- the older version with the gentleman proctor, or with the female proctor? I have not purchased the female proctor version – so I cannot possibly opine on that one.

Also, I think that it is rather disingenuous to compare the DVD to a sundial. I would understand your argument if the DVD simply displayed a countdown clock of some sort – but it is far more than that.

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:42:14 PM »
Now that I took the LSAT and my apps are out, I'm going to start shopping for the Law School Exam proctor DVD.  The professor handing out the exams, my competitive classmates making noises, combined with trying to read fact patterns efficiently really might get in my head and throw me off.  I want to simulate the whole experience at home on my computer before the real thing.   ::)

It's ridiculous.  The watch they sell confirms it.  They are a company that sells things you don't need to people who get in their own heads.  And it's entirely fine if you want to buy their goods, but let's call a spade a spade.

Kantian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 02:18:55 AM »
cliff007, which DVD version of the LSAT Proctor did you purchase -- the older version with the gentleman proctor, or with the female proctor? I have not purchased the female proctor version – so I cannot possibly opine on that one.

Also, I think that it is rather disingenuous to compare the DVD to a sundial. I would understand your argument if the DVD simply displayed a countdown clock of some sort – but it is far more than that.
The one with the transvestite street walker proctor.  It was cheap and easy on the boulevard but there was an unexpected surprise that was not what I would call a happy ending.  I thought it was a girl when I handed over the $5 in a gas station parking lot.   :-[

In case U didn't read my above post, I am unwilling to spend the $$$ on this thing.  I already own a watch and know how to tell time while gripping wood.  I start with the big stick pointing directly north and stop pushing briefly 5 minutes after it is pointing directly south and then get it pointing north again to keep going for the next round of action.  How hard is that?

I agree. If you can do it, everybody sure as hell can.  ::)

but on a serious note, I will agree that the wrist watch thing is down right retarded and should be labeled as social crime.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
I tend not to trust any reviews or opinions on products coming from individuals who have not purchased the product in question. I think that this 'clue' would be a greater benefit to all the onlookers.

eudaemonist

• Its totally inappropriate, lewd, lascivious..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
and we all have the liberty to disagree... so long as it is justified.

Lets take the inalienable right of liberty and free speech and mire it with the arbitrary principle of justification  ???

Justify who, what, by you? Huh?

If you can add 35 onto any number a regular analog watch will work fine.

j0HnNyD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
I dig her man.