Law School Discussion

"i've spent time abroad" addendum?

"i've spent time abroad" addendum?
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
other than explaining things about your GPA, LSAT score, misc. criminal conduct, health issues, financial issues, etc...

can i write an addendum about how i've spent 2 summers abroad (i never lived abroad though), doing stuff (first time it was summer school, and second time it was community service) or is this just a waste of the adcomm's time?  i have both activities listed on my resume, but i just wanted to highlight these activities b/c i have like zero awesome soft factors.  i mean, i have the run-of-the-mill work experience, but nothing TOO special.

(i was thinking about writing my PS on doing community service abroad, but decided it'd be too predictable, etc.  which is why i was thinking about making an addendum)

thnx in advance for any advice

Re: "i've spent time abroad" addendum?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
In my opinion, you should write your PS on doing community service abroad.  I don't think it's predictable at all.  I think it would speak very highly of you.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
I don't think it's appropriate for an addendum and I think writing about community service abroad is pretty predicable, but many people think its a wonderful idea- which is why I wouldn't do it.  I think the only appropriate place for it is a resume. 

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
Definitely don't do an addendum. You could work it into your PS if the service was unique in some way or you had a novel experience while there. If you're including it just to say "I did community service" then I wouldn't bother.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
I wrote an addendum for a similar situation. I moved overseas for a year, and worked and whatnot, but the addendum was mroe to address why I didn't have any real job during that time.

I think your situation is different though. I wouldn't write one.