Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I attach a scale?  (Read 944 times)

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I attach a scale?
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
So, LSAC has informed me that it will include a courtesy copy of my foreign transcript, but since I spent less than a year abroad, it will not analyze the grades for consideration. The UK grading system is out of 100, but the scale for a First (A grade) is 70-100 at the particular university that I was at. Should I attach a scale electronically sent by my UK university for our own reference purposes so that they don't misconstrue my grades as Cs and Ds? I know I'm being a little nervous about this, but what are your thoughts?

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I attach a scale?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »
If you don't think they'll be familiar with the way your grades are presented, I would definitely send a scale.  If it's a pretty well-known school that ad-comms will have a lot of experience with it may not be that important.  I would err on the side of not leaving the committee with uncertainties about your application.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Should I attach a scale?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Is your transcript directly from the foreign institution, or could it perhaps be from a study abroad program that you went through?  I'm asking because some study abroad programs convert scores into the American grading system, so in that case a scale wouldn't be necessary.  But if the transcript comes from the school itself a scale won't hurt, but adcomms are probably familiar with the British grading system.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.