Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: G-town Tax LLM Student needs career advice!!!!!  (Read 3900 times)

family77

• View Profile
G-town Tax LLM Student needs career advice!!!!!
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
I am currently in the GU Tax LL.M. program and it's every bit as challenging as I heard it was.  I'm working harder than I ever did in law school.

My question is, I have a 2nd Tier J.D., Top 30%, I went straight from J.D. to LL.M., do I even have a chance of getting a tax position at Biglaw in D.C. after I complete the GU LLM?

Basically, I am dreading the possibility that I'll have to work for the IRS for $77k or Big4 Accounting Firms for $85k.  Any chance I can get a $140k BigLaw job in D.C.???

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: G-town Tax LLM Student needs career advice!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »
Wouldn't career services know more about this?

I don't think there are many (if any) LLM students hanging around on these boards.  There is another website that deals with LLMs.  Just google some keywords and I"m sure it'll pop-up.

Good luck!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »
big law in DC is 160K.

didnt Georgetown already do their recruitment program for the year?

Anyway, I have heard that for the most part law firms wont hire LLMs that they wouldnt have consider from the JD program.  I dont know how much truth there is to this.  It seems like your JD school/GPA were not outstanding but still werent terrible.  I would think that you would have a shot from the number 3 tax program at getting a job.  That said, no one can really answer this question for you.  The job market sucks, tax practice groups are difficult to break into, and the job process is somewhat random as it is. 

Best of luck to you though in the whole process.

I am applying for LLM tax programs this year. 

yehudis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
I am currently in the GU Tax LL.M. program and it's every bit as challenging as I heard it was.  I'm working harder than I ever did in law school.

My question is, I have a 2nd Tier J.D., Top 30%, I went straight from J.D. to LL.M., do I even have a chance of getting a tax position at Biglaw in D.C. after I complete the GU LLM?

Basically, I am dreading the possibility that I'll have to work for the IRS for $77k or Big4 Accounting Firms for $85k.  Any chance I can get a $140k BigLaw job in D.C.???

You might find yourself making a lot more at a Big 4 over time than you would in Big Law.  Keep that in mind. 

family77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »

You might find yourself making a lot more at a Big 4 over time than you would in Big Law.  Keep that in mind. 

how is that?  I'm intrigued...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
FWIW:

My roommate last year was a Tax LLM student last year who had stellar LLM grades and pretty solid law school grades from a lower T1 school. She didn't find a job until the August after graduation, but it was a 160k biglaw job (just not in her city of choice which was DC). AFAIK the recruiting season is in the spring after grades come out for LLM students. Make friends with profs, my roommate found several good leads through her profs.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?