Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for those still looking...  (Read 2337 times)

MissyMakeBelief

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice for those still looking...
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
I'm sure that there are quite a few people in this position, and I just wanted to give you some hope.  I used a website that claimed that they had updated summer associate wanted ads, so in desperation I signed up for a trial account.  I sent out probably about 30 applications via email to the market that I want to be in and mentioned in the email that I would be in town the next week.  From these applications, three firms called me to set up interview times, which were essentially callbacks (same format 5-6 attorneys and lunch).  I ended up getting three offers from this.

I will say that this could just be pure luck - I don't think that the website has the most accurate information because it does claim that Thelen is still looking for summer associates, but it did give me the contact information for several firms. Having said that, I would definitely email resumes still because I am still getting responses from firms.  The firms that I applied to are primarily satellite offices of V100 firms.

Hope that helps! Good Luck.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for those still looking...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
What's the website?  I imagine you are spamming for them anyway, so I'll bite lol.

MissyMakeBelief

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
I'm actually not spamming for them... I just tried it.  But like I said, I wouldn't reccomend it because it does list outdated information. I would just try sending applications to the smaller offices of large firms.  I used lawcrossing.com, but I think you could get the same information off NALP without signing up for an account.

Good Luck!

Bigbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
Mind if I ask what city you were looking at?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
If you are still looking, you should by all means make plans to visit the city at your own expense.  It shows your interest in the geographic area, and it minimizes the cost and risk to the firm. I got callbacks (and then offers) from e-mails as late as 3 weeks ago. 

I disagree.  Spending cash out of pocket is a waste.  You are pissing away your own money and most firms are near done recruiting.  Sure, I am ALL for sending e-mails out, but if the firms are interested, then they will invite you out there.  I sent out direct writes and got call backs/offers out of them.

Sure, maybe if a firm calls and says they would like to meet with you if you are in the area, you can go ahead and pay your own way (I wouldn't, but that's just me).  Large firms have money, $500-1000 for a call back is nothing to them and if they don't think you are worth that expense, then it is unlikely they are going to be making you a job offer.

nyy06

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
are direct writes different than emails?  Im assuming the direct writes is the snail mail approach addressed to their recruiting director.

MissyMakeBelief

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
Mind if I ask what city you were looking at?

I was looking at NYC.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 11:25:25 AM »
are direct writes different than emails?  Im assuming the direct writes is the snail mail approach addressed to their recruiting director.

Direct Writes mean writing directly to the recruiting coordinator outside of traditional OCI.  I used e-mail and ended up with several call backs and the offer I am accepting also came through the direct write process.

However, this late in the game I wouldn't count on much.  You should have been doing direct writes at the end of August and throughout September. 

I'd focus on smaller firms now.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »

Direct writes can be e-mail, that's what I used.  All it means is you are directly writing vs. On Campus Interviews.

It's a bit too late for big firms, but you can start e-mailing smaller firms.

nyy06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

Direct writes can be e-mail, that's what I used.  All it means is you are directly writing vs. On Campus Interviews.

It's a bit too late for big firms, but you can start e-mailing smaller firms.

Thx for the info.  I thought the same...big firms are pretty much done recruiting their classes.  How do you look up smaller firms?  I ask bc the ALM 200 firms are still on the bigger side and there really isnt much info on smaller firms ( at least publicly, i dont think)  if im wrong, please let me know of any sources