Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION...  (Read 1470 times)

mfs73

• View Profile
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION...
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
I've been out of university now for the past five years and have not been in constant contact with my former poli sci professors.  I'd like to approach two of them for a letter of recommendation for law school (the chairman and my professor...the two that spoke the most highly of me during my studies), but I'm worried that since I've not been in university during the past five years, that it will be next to impossible to get letters of recommendation from them. 

I've been home since my studies caring for my family and taking on freelance projects here and there (not from anyone that I would approach for a letter of recommendation).  For those of us that are non-trads, and have graduated from university already (perhaps SAHM, etc), how have you handled getting letters of recommendation?  Particularly academic letters of recommendation? 

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:44 AM »

Not too difficult a task. Call and ask for an appointment (or invite for coffee). Explain your aspirations, what you've been doing since graduation, and then ask for a recommendation. Most importantly, offer to give them a first draft of the letter of recommendation (this is very common, especially within academia; it also allows you to demonstrate your strengths in a fashion you think AdComs will value). Be sure to offer your complete transcript, an updated resume, and possibly your personal statement. You might also do well to share with them any written products from the classes you took.

If they accept, provide everything in hard copy, give them the draft in electronic copy, and give them a stamped and addressed envelope with the LOR form filled out and ready.

And try to be low-impact. They get hit up for LORs right and left...make it as easy as possible.

mfs73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
Thank you for that information, Ivan.  I'm going to try that approach and see what happens...  One of my professors said she already has a letter of recommendation written for me (immediately after I sent her the email request), so I'm hoping I can try and intervene in time to come up with a draft that may be more accurate and "personalized". 

I've been trying to find out...for the letter of recommendation, I would send that directly to the university?  Or I would send that to LSAC?  It seems that if I apply to let's say five to eight universities (at least) that I'd need an individual letter for each of them, no?  :o(

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:42 AM »
No. I believe you will have your recommenders send your letters directly to LSAC. When you apply to each school, you then tell LSAC which letters you want sent to which schools. If you want specific letters to go to only specific schools, you can do that. But if your letters are general, then you need to have the writer note them as "To whom it may concern" or "Dear AdComm Goddess," but not a specific school (so you can use them generally). See LSAC for more info on LOR treatment. You'll need to print off the LOR info form from LSAC and give to each recommender anyway.

(But some few schools may allow you to apply directly to them, with LORs sent directly to them...that didn't apply to any of the schools where I applied).

Ivan