Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trying to get into Summer Science Programs (Undergrad)..  (Read 1789 times)

bethanygm

• View Profile
    • Email
Trying to get into Summer Science Programs (Undergrad)..
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
I'm a little annoyed right now because I really want to do a science internship in Hawaii, at ANY biological research center, and all (but one) program caters to minorities. I'm talking, they are SPECIFICALLY FOR minorities. No whites admitted to these special programs. It is really frustrating. I have a hispanic last name, now that I'm married, and I'm tempted to try to use that. ;-\
Things ought to be based on grades and personal statements, not race.
I grew up in a poor town and went to a crappy school. A lot of what I know, I know because I am an avid reader and I like to teach myself. Since affirmative action seems to be based on the idea that minorities often have less opportunity in school, there should be tons of programs for the white kids that grew up poor, too. It's really annoying.

I am going to say that I think whites are a minority in Hawaii, so I can see how these programs came about. It's just that on the mainland, I never see programs that specify "whites only!"

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Trying to get into Summer Science Programs (Undergrad)..
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

I am going to say that I think whites are a minority in Hawaii, so I can see how these programs came about. It's just that on the mainland, I never see programs that specify "whites only!"

Unfortunately you were born 40 years too late, that used to be all the rage. Blame your parents for being so open minded that they ruined it for our generation. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »

Unfortunately you were born 40 years too late, that used to be all the rage. Blame your parents for being so open minded that they ruined it for our generation. 

I agree.  If only it was 40 years earlier!
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »

Then we would not have to worry about all those womenz taking our spots too. Ah 1950-60s was a great time to be a hentrosexual white male.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »

Then we would not have to worry about all those womenz taking our spots too. Ah 1950-60s was a great time to be a hentrosexual white male.

srsly

;)
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.