Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Torn between a few options  (Read 1259 times)

jeff112

• View Profile
Torn between a few options
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
All opinions are appreciated.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Torn between a few options
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »
I think unless you really want to be in Chicago (and honestly, I can understand, wonderful city), I would throw all of that Vault crap away. If you think you are wanted and will thrive, and you like the place, I think there is no reason for you to change. It actually sickens me sometimes how much weight people put in rankings sometimes, especially with a career. Who cares if you are at a top Vault X firm and what your exit options are if you like where you are? (BTW, I'm not saying that is what you are doing, I'm just saying people put more weight in Vault than I do).

If you want to be in Chicago however, then you have a real choice on your hands.

I'm considering a split and have the same concern about damaging reputation, however, if the small market firm is interested in offering you a split, that is a good thing for them. As for the other firm, I understand your pain.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:54:32 PM »
Many people that have 1L jobs at firms go back and split.  Neither firm has a problem with this.  The second firm (the V50) knows that you will just be doing this to secure an offer.  They will probably just thinking that you want to have a safety net available.  I have friends that did this their second summers to be safe.  Id say go for it.  Your first summer job wont hold it against you, because they apparently really like you and will therefore try to convince you to go back.  It seems like you are torn.  If this is the case, you dont want to have any regrets and if you have the option to do both, you should go for it. 

And, I agree with Refused, do not let Vault rankings have any impact.  Honestly, besides a select few firms at the top, very little matters in the way of rankings for law firms.  I feel like people are way too hung up on rankings the whole way through the process and let this impact their decisions when it shouldnt (I am speaking from personal experience here).

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »
I would see if your 1L firm will let you do just a few weeks there.  I know people who went back to their 1L firms for as little as two weeks. 

It is a risk to split with the Chicago firm, but in normal circumstances the risk would be minor.  I would be somewhat more nervous in this economy, where firms may have overhired and are looking for people to no offer.  I know someone who split with two firms last summer--different cities, same state--and got a pair of no-offers.... the firms both told him they didn't know him well enough.  I split last summer as well, and I can tell you that some partners made snide comments about it.

In short, it shouldn't be a huge problem, but spend as long as possible at the Chicago firm, and work hard to impress.
I am officially a law school graduate : )