Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would I make a good candidate for Yale?  (Read 4893 times)

bethanygm

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would I make a good candidate for Yale?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 03:49:06 AM »

I just really want to go to an Ivy.

wow.  am i being nit-picky here, or does this smack of superficiality? i mean, c'mon, everyone really wants to be an Ivie, but we're not high schoolers here.  and [above quote] is what you hear SAT-anxious teenagers say.

Do I seriously have to explain my every reason for everything?
I have been bored and unchallenged in every school I have ever gone to.
It seems to me that an Ivy league school might do things differently.
If they do not, so what? Going to an Ivy opens doors.  You certainly can't argue with that one. Any intelligent person would choose Yale over Florida Coastal School of Law or something.

And how would YOU phrase your desire to go to an Ivy League school? I am soooo sorry if I am not sophisticated enough to suit your tastes.  Get over yourself. Deep down you are just as anxious as those SAT-anxious teenagers, so shut up and stop acting so pretentious.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 04:16:45 AM »

wow.  am i being nit-picky here, or does this smack of superficiality? i mean, c'mon, everyone really wants to be an Ivie, but we're not high schoolers here.  and [above quote] is what you hear SAT-anxious teenagers say.

If they do not, so what? Going to an Ivy opens doors.  You certainly can't argue with that one. Any intelligent person would choose Yale over Florida Coastal School of Law or something.

And how would YOU phrase your desire to go to an Ivy League school? I am soooo sorry if I am not sophisticated enough to suit your tastes.  Get over yourself. Deep down you are just as anxious as those SAT-anxious teenagers, so shut up and stop acting so pretentious.

Hey, what's wrong with Stanford?!

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 03:04:16 PM »

Hokay. Pause.

OP, you certainly don't have to explain your reasons for everything, but you're setting up a false dichotomy of your own. Yale and Florida Coastal aren't your only options, and the world (even the law school world) doesn't break down into Ivy (intellectually stimulating and challenging) vs. non-Ivy (boring and for dumb people). NYU and Stanford are both ranked better than Cornell and UPenn, for instance, and neither one is "Ivy." In fact, Florida Coastal produces more qualified JDs per year than Princeton does. Princeton! Not to mention Brown!

Reports of Ivy schools' power to enrapture the minds of students have been greatly exaggerated, to paraphrase Mark Twain. Some people would find any law school education stimulating; others would yawn regardless of locale, yes, Virginia, even at the great Yale Law.

In fact, what you'll often hear is that a great big chunk of law school looks the same wherever you go. Same books, same cases, similar teaching style, at least in the first year. And I think that's largely true.

I do think that your faith in the Ivy brand (while sweet and flattering bien sur) is somewhat misplaced and does smack of uninformed superficiality. In fact, the OP itself at first blush seemed quite, in fact, pretentious to me. Got to go to law school because I'm sooooo smart. Not just any law school, got to go to Yale because I'm sooooo smart. Everyone knows that Yale is for smart people, which is good, because I'm soooo smart.

Look, the phrasing of "I just really want to go to an Ivy" calls attention to itself. It's not, for instance, "I just really want to get a great legal education," or, hell, even, "I just really want to go to a great law school." It sounds...obsessed with prestige for prestige's sake. Dig?

Insert standard plug here about PLEASE do not go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer, there are better things to study if you just want to study, law school is professional school and it's mighty unpleasant to prepare to enter a profession you're never going to enter in actuality, so THINK TWICE, I would say this to absolutely anyone, in fact, have, on many an occasion.

Finally, I hope everyone in the thread knows me well enough to know that I could not care less about the OP's gender or reproductive choices when I say that she is in fact coming off like a bit of a prat.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
OP: You say that you've been bored and unchallenged in every school you've ever attended, therefore ready for an ivy league school. Yet, you have not even completed a bachelor's degree. Are you seriously saying that because you were bored in elementary school, middle school, and high school that that is somehow an indication of your readiness to pursue an ivy league law school?  :D

PS: I see that you chose your biochem major because of past personal experience. At what point did you decide that biochem was no longer your passion, but instead you needed an ivy league law degree to fulfill your life? Also, before anyone jumps in and says this doesn't matter...I don't care that it doesn't matter. I am just curious about the thought process that takes you from biochemistry to ivy league law. It's fascinating.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
In fact, Florida Coastal produces more qualified JDs per year than Princeton does. Princeton! Not to mention Brown!

If you weren't so sexist I'd find this comment really funny.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
as i've thought about this over the past few days, i've just become more and more convinced that, yes, the OP sounds extremely selfish, and dismissive of a lot of important considerations, many of which have been brought up in the past two points.  

grace, i understand that you may be sensitive to fundamentalist women-dominators, but i assure you, that's not what i meant by my original post, nor does that description fit me.  i am a faithful husband who dearly loves my wife, and (yes archival) have a beautiful child.  if you can't simply agree with me that the OP's post is incredibly shallow AT LEAST then i'll have to recuse myself from further comment about what i meant in my secondary and tertiary posts.  

i will, however, continue to point out (as i see them) cases of ignorance, stupidity, shallowness, hypocrisy, and other such nonsense on this board, whether or not they have to do with law school cycles, parenting, car waxing, mis-informed idealogies, or any other situation where they might arise.  i look forward to those ideas being challenged, criticized, and even encouraged where it is appropriate.  after all, we're all here to learn from each other, that's what community is about.  

thanks,
trev

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
grace, i understand that you may be sensitive to fundamentalist women-dominators . . .

The problem here is that it's not just "fundamentalist women-dominators" who perpetuate a society in which a woman's status as a woman impacts the opportunities she has, the ways in which she is talked about and criticized, the choices she has to make and the and the burdens she takes on with respect to her education and her career (particularly if she wants to have a family), etc.

I'm glad you're a faithful husband, and I'm glad you're a loving father. That doesn't mean that, even if you don't hold actively or blatantly sexist ideas, you cannot or do not contribute to a system that places what I would classify as an undue burden upon women. We all contribute to it, really - I know that I think things, say things, do things that buy into and contribute to the system.

Reducing the problem to "fundamentalist women-dominators" is dismissive of the various subconscious, devious, and systemic ways that sexism and misogyny function in our society.

I agree with dashrashi's very eloquent post above. However, I stand by my concerns with and analysis of your posts. I would particularly draw your attention again to the second post in my last response to you. I do appreciate and respect that you've given this thought, but I cannot agree that your comments were warranted or supportable, for the reasons I've already expressed. These reasons are predominately unrelated to any issues with the OP's statements.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
if you, yourself completely aware of the sexist/misogynistic problem in society, still cannot stop from "thinking, saying, and doing" things which "contribute to the system" then how the hell am i supposed to? 

you've admitted you can't even stop doing the very things you despise.  go preach to yourself before you come after me with your own guilt!  don't reflect on me your own feelings of shame and disgust for your misogynistic tendencies. 

i won't be responsible for your self-hate and loathing, so don't label me as a misogynist.  i love women.  i treat my wife with the utmost respect.  if i have a daughter, i will treat her like a queen.  any of my comments could have been applied equally to a male, and would not have been seen in the least bit as sexist.  i will [probably] take the time to respond to your lengthy [and severely misguided] critique of my comments, but i'm trying to jam out law school apps right now, so it will have to wait. 

beautiful about all of this is that you've been the one labeling me (and others) the sexists, when it's you who actually admits to perpetuating the sexism. 

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »
if you, yourself completely aware of the sexist/misogynistic problem in society, still cannot stop from "thinking, saying, and doing" things which "contribute to the system" then how the hell am i supposed to? 

you've admitted you can't even stop doing the very things you despise.  go preach to yourself before you come after me with your own guilt!  don't reflect on me your own feelings of shame and disgust for your misogynistic tendencies. 

i won't be responsible for your self-hate and loathing, so don't label me as a misogynist.  i love women.  i treat my wife with the utmost respect.  if i have a daughter, i will treat her like a queen.  i will [probably] take the time to respond to your lengthy [and severely misguided] critique of my comments, but i'm trying to jam out law school apps right now, so it will have to wait. 

beautiful about all of this is that you've been the one labeling me (and others) the sexists, when it's you who actually admits to perpetuating the sexism. 

:D :D :D

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

i won't be responsible for your self-hate and loathing, so don't label me as a misogynist.  i love women.  i treat my wife with the utmost respect.  if i have a daughter, i will treat her like a queen.  i will [probably] take the time to respond to your lengthy [and severely misguided] critique of my comments, but i'm trying to jam out law school apps right now, so it will have to wait. 

:D :D :D

;)