Gospel - Screw the US NEWS
 0 (0%)
Very Helpful and Informative
 3 (3.6%)
One more tool in deciding value
 9 (10.8%)
Interesting trivia
 12 (14.5%)
Bought and Paid for (aka a load of crap)
 14 (16.9%)
Check with Princeton Review before believing this information is true
 3 (3.6%)
Does "Diverse" mean the same thing as "Clueless"?
 8 (9.6%)
Isn't Chapman that "Dog the Bounty Hunter" guy?
 21 (25.3%)
www.chapman.edu/law = source of misinformation
 9 (10.8%)
An explanation for this?: http://www.chapman.edu/law/about/2008_bar_results.asp
 4 (4.8%)
Inflated because John Yoo waterboarded Princeton Review Staff?  http://www.chapman.edu/images/userImages/dfinley/Page_9275/Statement%20Regarding%20John%20Yoo%20--%20revised.pdf
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Princeton Review Rankings - Useful or a load of Crap  (Read 8487 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Princeton Review Rankings - Useful or a load of Crap
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »
I was just pointing out that we do, in fact, know the method to the madness. If not a flame, I'm thinking high school sophomore.

OK, now THAT was a flame for sure.

No guessing there.   :D

I was just saying dude seems to lack some basic research/reading/reasoning skills.

Certainly, to define something as basic is to define it as "base", simple, rudimentary...or average. Meaning those who would study it would be average. The rankings and their madness are hardly fodder for the faint of heart, which is to say "average" people. So, "lacking basic" reasoning and research skills?...no. Another assumption you make is that because one does not do something, it must be the case that he cannot. Heck, it's a jump to assume someone has not done something, let alone the rest.

Rankings are simple arbitrary madness, and I take them seriously or not so seriously depending on the day of the week. I do not get into every subtlety of the rankings, though I do understand quite a bit. As for my reasoning? 51/51 on the LSAT and perfect (A+) grades in undergraduate philosophy, near perfect grades on all essays, including term papers (never below an A). Those are "reasons" to think otherwise.   

But, honestly, we've gone way to far on this topic. I don't even think we are so much disagreeing as over-analyzing. It's killing my buzz.

Again, not talking about the rankings, just about your inability to spend 10 seconds to figure out that the methodology behind a certain set of rankings is readily available to be perused.

This falls under the reading skills problem, namely lack of reading comprehension.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

SoCal123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
I was just pointing out that we do, in fact, know the method to the madness. If not a flame, I'm thinking high school sophomore.

I was just saying dude seems to lack some basic research/reading/reasoning skills.

Certainly, to define something as basic is to define it as "base", simple, rudimentary...or average. Meaning those who would study it would be average. The rankings and their madness are hardly fodder for the faint of heart, which is to say "average" people. So, "lacking basic" reasoning and research skills?...no. Another assumption you make is that because one does not do something, it must be the case that he cannot. Heck, it's a jump to assume someone has not done something, let alone the rest.

Rankings are simple arbitrary madness, and I take them seriously or not so seriously depending on the day of the week. I do not get into every subtlety of the rankings, though I do understand quite a bit. As for my reasoning? 51/51 on the LSAT and perfect (A+) grades in undergraduate philosophy, near perfect grades on all essays, including term papers (never below an A). Those are "reasons" to think otherwise.   

But, honestly, we've gone way to far on this topic. I don't even think we are so much disagreeing as over-analyzing. It's killing my buzz.

Go Lawdog, way to go Goodwill Hunting on Ninja!

I wish I could do the same but my academic career would not have the same sting, sadly... ;)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

I wish I could do the same but my academic career would not have the same sting, sadly... ;)

Was Goodwill Hunting unable to read?

SoCal123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

I said Goodwill Hunting, not Rainman.

Slow on the driveway Ninja, slow on the driveway...  :D

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 01:52:24 AM »

I said Goodwill Hunting, not Rainman.

Slow on the driveway Ninja, slow on the driveway...  :D

Got me. I try to avoid dull movies that everyone seems to think are epic/earth shattering or some such nonsense.

SoCal123

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
Am I the only one who did not know that the ABA has an arbitration competition?

http://www.chapman.edu/law/newsArchive.asp

SoCal123

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »
This is rather old news but I saw this on another website and it is interesting and on point.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2007/10/princeton-rev-7.html

Does anyone think there is any merit in this analysis?

I find it interesting, but some of the rankings are just outright ridiculous, IMO.

SoCal123

• View Profile