Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Go to a T14 IN THIS ECONOMY!  (Read 8934 times)

George545454

• View Profile
Go to a T14 IN THIS ECONOMY!
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »
Seriously. I foolishly choose a T18-15 with money over lower T14s. Ended up at median 1L year. So far jobless. This especially applies to people who are much better at standardized tests than studying. Better to have a big debt and a big salary than small debt and no salary

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Go to a T14 IN THIS ECONOMY!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »
I have to admit that I'm scared of even a T14 in this economy.  I have been trying to find out if people at the median to bottom end of mid-T14s are having any luck securing summer gigs.
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
Seriously. I foolishly choose a T18-15 with money over lower T14s. Ended up at median 1L year. So far jobless. This especially applies to people who are much better at standardized tests than studying. Better to have a big debt and a big salary than small debt and no salary

Firms are scared and there are plenty of pre-trained associates floating around.  It's tough out there...

t14 isn't automatic BIGLAW though...

George545454

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
GO TO YALE IN THIS ECONOMY!

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »
So, I'm gonna ask this question here (I have trouble getting a real answer).  While I realize that T14 isn't auto biglaw do most people think that a T14 student should be able to get a job at a larger firm in a secondary (possibly tertiary (if there is such a thing)) market?
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
So, I'm gonna ask this question here (I have trouble getting a real answer).  While I realize that T14 isn't auto biglaw do most people think that a T14 student should be able to get a job at a larger firm in a secondary (possibly tertiary (if there is such a thing)) market?

Really depends on the market and the school.

I know multiple (5) top half 7-14ers who are having some serious problems getting market in the secondary market of their choice.  3/5 have NYC though.

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

Really depends on the market and the school.

I know multiple (5) top half 7-14ers who are having some serious problems getting market in the secondary market of their choice.  3/5 have NYC though.

Yeah, this is kind of my fear.  I know that most of the people at this firm are coming from local schools (it's Wichita btw).  There are a few from T14s (primarily the one I'm going to) so I guess I'll just hope for the best.  I deferred anyway so it's not like I can change much.  Here's hoping I can get a job 1L summer.
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »

I've heard it can be hard to break into distant markets (besides the major ones) without a good reason, even if you're coming out of a good school.

And yes, I would say there are definitely tertiary markets. Something like Miami > Orlando > Destin.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »
My 'good reason' will be that I have grown up and lived there all of my life.  I'm hoping for the regional tie to help me (probably more than it really will).
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
My 'good reason' will be that I have grown up and lived there all of my life.  I'm hoping for the regional tie to help me (probably more than it really will).

And I think that's exactly what they're usually looking for.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.