Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE help me decide between 2 firms  (Read 927 times)

rnb

• View Profile
PLEASE help me decide between 2 firms
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
Right now I'm literally 50-50.  Thanks in advance!
*Sorry for repeating this, but I'm really torn and could use all the advice possible.

1.  Both in my location preference.
2.  Both are 50-200 attorneys (the size I'm looking for).
3.  No real preference as far as "vibe" or cooler/nicer people.
4.  No preference as far as salary.
4.  Firm A is more estbalished, renowned, and prestigious (Vault "Power 500" firm); Firm B is a pretty young firm, less established, but still top 5 in the area.  I'd guess Firm A would look better for the long run.
5.  Firm A offers more practice areas in general, and more practice areas I'm interested in.  Firm B has a couple areas I'm interested in, so that's not really a problem.  But I'm thinking Firm A is more stable since Firm B only has 3-4 practice areas. 
6.  The big one in Firm B's favor - much lower hours.  I'm pretty big on having a life outside work.  Based on testimonials and billable hour requirements, I'd work 45-50 at Firm B, and 50-60 at Firm A.

rnb

• View Profile
Re: PLEASE help me decide between 2 firms
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
Both have "no offered/cold offered" only 2 people in the last 10 years.  So there shouldn't be a problem there.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »
Firm B.  Prestige is great and all, but quality of life is of paramount importance.  You've said yourself you want life outside the firm.  So no contest.

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:09:38 PM »
Can you state the city these firms are located in?  I think that would make a difference as far as the need for quality of life is concerned.

rnb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:12:14 PM »
I'd rather not say what city the firms are in.  I guess all I can say is that a) they're not in a major city, b) they're close to a major city, and c) quality of life at all firms in this city is probably better than average.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »
In this economy, go with the more stable firm. Quality of life is nice, but you can always lateral to a firm with better hours.

rnb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
One for Firm A, one for Firm B.  I told you I'm exactly 50-50 on this.

rnb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
I don't quite follow.  Should I just ask an associate if management is up front about the financials of the firm?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:30:02 AM »
In this economy, go with the more stable firm. Quality of life is nice, but you can always lateral to a firm with better hours.

I am with you on this one.  The economy is going to be shaky for the next couple of years, and the most diversified firm will be the most stable.  The smaller firms are going to face severe trouble, as we have already started to see with katten, sonneschin (however you spell that), etc.  There will be more blood to come, and you don't want it to be yours... not to be overly negative, but IMO the economic signs are pointing to a loooong recession. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )