Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Academic LOR a must have?  (Read 1287 times)

syxtoez

• View Profile
Is Academic LOR a must have?
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
Before you answer, let me give you a little background on my situation.  I graduated from UPenn in Systems Engineering in 2005 with a 3.0 GPA.  I have worked for a major defense contractor for the past three years as an engineer and have very strong work and leadership experience.  I expect to be getting around a 170 on the LSATs (took Oct. 4th).

I can get 3 very strong LORs from team leads, technical directors, etc. at my work.  I know LORs from professors are desired, but I really don't have anyone in mind who would specifically remember me, or would write anything besides your basic "he did well in my class" response.  Is it a major red flag to have 3 LORs from the same job?  Even if one's performance at that job is much more substantial than his academic performance?

Thanks for any suggestions!

sethg485

• View Profile
Re: Is Academic LOR a must have?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »
I've read that many schools will accept letters from employers if you have been out of school for a period of time. Your situation certainly warrants that. However, make sure they come from people who have directly supervised and evaluated you.

syxtoez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »
Thanks for the response.  All my letters are from leads, managers, etc.  I read the same thing about if you have been out of school for "several" years...I'm just not sure where the line in the sand is.

meathead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
I am in the same boat I have been out of school for four years.  First of all I went to a school of 45k students so in our classes of 200 it was hard to have and relationship with a prof, and second I never intended on going to law school at the time.  My goal was to get out quickly and start working, I have had a lot of success at work so I can get very good LOR's but I am worried about the lack of a academic LOR.