Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wanting to go to a HBCE school for pre-law  (Read 8061 times)

mfs73

• View Profile
Re: Wanting to go to a HBCE school for pre-law
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
Oh, for goodness' sake! I said that there were some benefits to students who attend HBCUs.  I didn't say that going to an HBCU was the correct or necessary choice for all black students.  Nor did I suggest that single-race education is generally a good idea, that the benefits would be similar in the K-12 context, or anything else that could conceivably promote "segregation."  (I'll also note that elsewhere on the board, I have railed against de facto segregation in public schools and promoted the kinds of voluntary desegregation policies that the Supreme Court recently rejected -- or curtailed, anyway.)

Here's the most famous study about HBCUs, conducted by the Educational Testing Service in the 1990s: http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/15/1f/d2.pdf.  There's plenty more elsewhere, but it's a start for those of you who don't want to google.

Howard University is not a "single-race" university (as if that could even exist in the Americas...unless you're a recent immigrant, just about EVERYONE here is multi-ethnic/racial whether they're White/Black/etc...no matter how ridiculously hypocritical their ideas of "racial purity" are here).  Howard is a predominantly "Black" university.  With that said, I would like to know if the same critique would be offered to universities such as Wellesley which has a female student population of over 97%. We all know the reasons for founding women's/predominantly Black universities (at least I should hope everyone knows).  If an HBCU is subject to such uproar and critique, then we can be consistent and throw the likes of Wellesley or Barnard in there, as well.  And while we're at it, let's put in that Mormon university too...Brigham Young University?  It's over 98% Mormon.  Let's decry their institution as well. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »
Oh, for goodness' sake! I said that there were some benefits to students who attend HBCUs.  I didn't say that going to an HBCU was the correct or necessary choice for all black students.  Nor did I suggest that single-race education is generally a good idea, that the benefits would be similar in the K-12 context, or anything else that could conceivably promote "segregation."  (I'll also note that elsewhere on the board, I have railed against de facto segregation in public schools and promoted the kinds of voluntary desegregation policies that the Supreme Court recently rejected -- or curtailed, anyway.)

Here's the most famous study about HBCUs, conducted by the Educational Testing Service in the 1990s: http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/15/1f/d2.pdf.  There's plenty more elsewhere, but it's a start for those of you who don't want to google.

Howard University is not a "single-race" university (as if that could even exist in the Americas...unless you're a recent immigrant, just about EVERYONE here is multi-ethnic/racial whether they're White/Black/etc...not matter how ridiculously hypocritical their ideas of "racial purity" are here).  Howard is a predominantly "Black" university.  With that said, I would like to know if the same critique would be offered to universities such as Wellesley which has a female student population of over 97%. We all know the reasons for founding women's/predominantly Black universities (at least I should hope everyone knows).  If an HBCU is subject to such uproar and critique, then we can be consistent and throw the likes of Wellesley or Barnard in there, as well.  And while we're at it, let's put in that Mormon university too...Brigham Young University?  It's over 98% Mormon.  Let's decry their institution as well. 

I certainly agree with everything you said.  :) (I can't tell if you are responding to me or to others in the thread.)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »

And while we're at it, let's put in that Mormon university too...Brigham Young University?  It's over 98% Mormon.  Let's decry their institution as well. 

FINALLY, someone else is on board with me.

What's that LDS v. Non-LDS tuition bull they pull? And then they do the thing where they compare their LDS tuition to out of state and private tuition at far better schools like Harvard, UCLA, USC, and so on in their promotional materials to show what a great value they are.

Seriously, @#!* BYU.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mfs73

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »

What's that LDS v. Non-LDS tuition bull they pull? And then they do the thing where they compare their LDS tuition to out of state and private tuition at far better schools like Harvard, UCLA, USC, and so on in their promotional materials to show what a great value they are.

Seriously, @#!* BYU.
[/quote]

Ninja, actually I'm not with you AT ALL.  (Sorry about that.)  I was using thinly-guised sarcasm to make a point and to expose an imbalance/inconsistency in your judgment (that applies to anyone else that may have shared your thinking).  I am curious (slightly) to know if you think Columbia's Barnard College shouldn't exist...or Wellesley for that matter. 

But no, I don't agree with you at all. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

Seriously, @#!* BYU.

Ninja, actually I'm not with you AT ALL.  (Sorry about that.)  I was using thinly-guised sarcasm to make a point and to expose an imbalance/inconsistency in your judgment (that applies to anyone else that may have shared your thinking).  I am curious (slightly) to know if you think Columbia's Barnard College shouldn't exist...or Wellesley for that matter. 

[/quote]

Don't worry, I got that. You applied a thin layer of sarcasm and I sprayed it on with a fire hose.

My judgment is just fine. What needs work is your ability to not take the internet, and the random folks on it, so seriously.

mfs73

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »

Seriously, @#!* BYU.

Don't worry, I got that. You applied a thin layer of sarcasm and I sprayed it on with a fire hose.

My judgment is just fine. What needs work is your ability to not take the internet, and the random folks on it, so seriously.
[/quote]

My apologies, I assumed you were serious since there's about a week's worth of debate here on your part (and the part of many others here) in this thread (six pages worth).  HBCUs have a special history and place in American history and they are a source of pride and sensitivity for many Americans (and of course for many Black Americans).  To state that they are "crap", in jest, or otherwise, is insensitive, "mauvais goût", and just irresponsible/absurd.  Many people from all walks of life take them very seriously (particularly Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse).  Assuming you're a normal, forward-thinking adult, perhaps you might want to display a bit more savvy or exercise more care when addressing those issues as opposed to saying "F*** BYU", etc. 

That last sentence was not meant to be an insult.  I just realize that sometimes children troll forums (masquerading as adults) and write inflammatory posts...in such situations, trying to reason with them or expose them to a divergent/intelligent viewpoint is futile.  I'm assuming you're not one of those people is all I'm saying. 

mfs73

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
Hey, I am having troubles finding a hbcu school the offers pre-law as a major. Every site I look up I find blog about nonsense that is not needed. PLease help me!

:-\Mellie

Mellie, I don't know about Howard's curriculum in particular.  But perhaps you may want to look into Political Science majors (be it at HU or otherwise).  I majored in political science and many of the courses at my university were similar to first year courses at law schools (albeit a lot easier):  Constitutional Law, Civil Liberties, etc.  Maybe HU has the same major, I'm not sure.  But you can perhaps also try looking at any other universities of interest to you and see if they offer a Political Science track with similar courses.  HTH and good luck with your search.  :)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »

Seriously, @#!* BYU.

My apologies, I assumed you were serious since there's about a week's worth of debate here on your part (and the part of many others here) in this thread (six pages worth).  HBCUs have a special history and place in American history and they are a source of pride and sensitivity for many Americans (and of course for many Black Americans).  To state that they are "crap", in jest, or otherwise, is insensitive, "mauvais goût", and just irresponsible/absurd.  Many people from all walks of life take them very seriously (particularly Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse).  Assuming you're a normal, forward-thinking adult, perhaps you might want to display a bit more savvy or exercise more care when addressing those issues as opposed to saying "F*** BYU", etc. 

That last sentence was not meant to be an insult.  I just realize that sometimes children troll forums (masquerading as adults) and write inflammatory posts...in such situations, trying to reason with them or expose them to a divergent/intelligent viewpoint is futile.  I'm assuming you're not one of those people is all I'm saying. 

[/quote]

I've been in on this one for a bit, yes, but it's just because I'm easily entertained and need something to distract myself, and this thread just keeps delivering. I really don't care much one way or another about HBCUs, but damn can you pick some good fights over them. For some reason, everyone that is, for lack of a better term, "Pro-HBCU" always has these super-pedantic arguments for HBCUs (and most of everything else, as most of your posts illustrate). Needless to say, I enjoy taking some shots at those types.

Like I said, the internet should generally not be taken seriously. Learn to have some fun. If I thought the issue was worth addressing in a serious way, I would, but I don't, so I have a good time (as much as you can on a message board, anyway). And everyone that does think the issue is worth addressing in a "normal, forward-thinking" (whatever the @#!* THAT means) way can do so and pay me no attention along the way.

Oh, and good work screwing up the quote a few posts back, now it looks like we're both functionally retarded and don't know how to use the quote button.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
I've been in on this one for a bit, yes, but it's just because I'm easily entertained and need something to distract myself, and this thread just keeps delivering. I really don't care much one way or another about HBCUs, but damn can you pick some good fights over them. For some reason, everyone that is, for lack of a better term, "Pro-HBCU" always has these super-pedantic arguments for HBCUs (and most of everything else, as most of your posts illustrate). Needless to say, I enjoy taking some shots at those types.

Like I said, the internet should generally not be taken seriously. Learn to have some fun. If I thought the issue was worth addressing in a serious way, I would, but I don't, so I have a good time (as much as you can on a message board, anyway). And everyone that does think the issue is worth addressing in a "normal, forward-thinking" (whatever the @#!* THAT means) way can do so and pay me no attention along the way.

Oh, and good work screwing up the quote a few posts back, now it looks like we're both functionally retarded and don't know how to use the quote button.

I am not sure what about my posts you thought was "super-pedantic," but I certainly don't think it's pedantic to ask that you try to avoid deploying bigotry or offending people for idle kicks.  Get a hobby.

p.s. It's not that hard to fix the quoting.  HTH.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mfs73

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

I am not sure what about my posts you thought was "super-pedantic," but I certainly don't think it's pedantic to ask that you try to avoid deploying bigotry or offending people for idle kicks.  Get a hobby.

p.s. It's not that hard to fix the quoting.  HTH.

I'm in complete agreement.  It's strange to me that anyone would have so little to do in their life that they would actually find spreading thinly veiled bigotry about the webosphere entertaining.  It's posts like that that really make me feel grateful for my own life.  I can't imagine being that embittered.