Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: to the experts: how important is it...  (Read 639 times)

flip side

• View Profile
to the experts: how important is it...
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »
how important is it to weave the topic of "why i want to be a lawyer" or "why am i fit to be a lawyer" throughout the ps? 

based on the ivey book & other sources, to me i thought it was not necessary or a disadvantage if you didn't explicitly use this as a big part of your ps, unless you are writing a "statement of purpose." 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: to the experts: how important is it...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
This is true. Unless the school specifically asks you to answer that question (i.e., a statement of purpose), it is totally not necessary to address why you want to go to law school. Potentially even a bad idea, unless you have a genuinely compelling reason that says something about who you are.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: to the experts: how important is it...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
I talked about it in my personal statement because I felt that I needed to justify why I was switching gears and moving from science to law.  I didn't want them thinking that law was a default because I couldnt get in to med school or something silly like that.  Also, my life (that I would be willing to tell a stranger about) isnt all that interesting so my topics were pretty limited :) 

If you have something better to write about then go for it, but its generally the fallback topic for non creative people like myself lol   

Ha, this is exactly what my PS was about.  Talked about how I switched from chemical engineering.