Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trial Ad  (Read 477 times)

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Trial Ad
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
I think I'd like to do trial work. I recognize that the vast majority of lawyers don't work in the courtroom. My question is whether it is important to go to a school with a strong reputation for producing trial attorneys or if it is more important to do well in your courses and be on the mock trial team? How much weight should I put on the USN specialty rankings for Trial Ad?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Trial Ad
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:08 AM »
Depends on what you want to do, exactly. What kind of trial work? Who do you envision paying your salary?

I wouldn't put much stock in the US News specialty rankings.

My very general one-size-fits-all advice is roughly:

Go to the best school you get into (because you don't know what you'll like, and the best school gives you the most options)

OR

Pick a region you think you'd like to live/work, pick a school in that region that has a good reputation there, and get out of law school with as little debt as possible (also gives you options, but in a slightly different way)

If you know specifically what kind of trial work you want to do, I'd be more specific in my recommendations. But you don't seem one hundred percent wedded to doing it, so that's also food for thought.

Also, I am a 2L who enjoys talking out of my ass. Caveat emptor.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
FWIW, I'll bet money nobody before law school knows what they will want to do after law school.  They might think they know, because one thing or another sounds interesting, but until they actually experience it first-hand, they have no clue.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
FWIW, I'll bet money nobody before law school knows what they will want to do after law school.  They might think they know, because one thing or another sounds interesting, but until they actually experience it first-hand, they have no clue.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I knew exactly what I wanted practice before law school, I picked my school because of its specialty in that practice area and I have never changed my mind about what I want to practice and that's what I'll be doing after law school. But Iím a special unique flower.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
But Iím a special unique flower.

Indeed.