Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Williams and Connolly?  (Read 9808 times)

sbellsianno

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on Williams and Connolly?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
If you want to work in DC or if you're pretty set on lit, go to W&C.  I mean, it's the best for both.  Go do second looks at W&C and other places you're considering to get a better perspective, try to figure out the lit/transactional thing, you do have a little time.

what about w&c versus a DC branch office of a big NY firm (eg, dpw or s&c or debevoise)?

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
If you want to work in DC or if you're pretty set on lit, go to W&C.  I mean, it's the best for both.  Go do second looks at W&C and other places you're considering to get a better perspective, try to figure out the lit/transactional thing, you do have a little time.

what about w&c versus a DC branch office of a big NY firm (eg, dpw or s&c or debevoise)?

DPW-there are 8 ppl in the DC office. They don't have a summer program there.
S&C-people apparently do this, but I don't understand why.
Debevoise-same as above.

If you want NY, go to a top NY firm. If you want DC, go to a top DC firm (W&C, Cov, Wilmer, etc.) Each option has its draws and drawbacks, but the bottom line is you have to just trust your instinct and pick.

If you really wanted a NY firm in DC, I'd go with S&C from that list.

sbellsianno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 12:52:56 AM »

Debevoise-same as above.

If you want NY, go to a top NY firm. If you want DC, go to a top DC firm (W&C, Cov, Wilmer, etc.) Each option has its draws and drawbacks, but the bottom line is you have to just trust your instinct and pick.

I thought Debevoise and S&C would be hidden gems in DC -- you get NY pay but the DC cost of living.  What are the drawbacks to a NY branch office in DC like the ones you mentioned? Is it just the work?  Partner contact? 

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »

Debevoise-same as above.

I thought Debevoise and S&C would be hidden gems in DC -- you get NY pay but the DC cost of living.  What are the drawbacks to a NY branch office in DC like the ones you mentioned? Is it just the work?  Partner contact? 

The DC office of those firms, as I understand it, are all about making money for the NY office (there are satellites that are rather independent; not the case with these two). That makes you expendable, and puts you away from the power base of the Firm. The money is better, perhaps, but I'm not sure that's the case. It depends on the bonuses. W&C pays more than market for sure with no bonuses. I'm not sure of what the bonus structure is at C&B and Wilmer.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »
Is money all you think about?  Your first priorities should be work quality and associate development.

sbellsianno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »
Is money all you think about?  Your first priorities should be work quality and associate development.

I didn't know they were mutually exclusive.  I like to think that profitability is a signal of quality.  Any firm can "say" that they focus on good work and associate development, but the bottom line is a good indicator of quality. 

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »
If you want to do lit, go.  If you're not sure if you want to do lit, go and see if you like lit.  If you don't, reinterview somewhere else in the fall or during your clerkship.  This will likely be your only chance to try out W&C, since they accept very, very few people who did not summer there (they recently had their first lateral hire in decades).  You will have plenty of opportunities to try out other places if you don't like the fit.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »
If you want to do lit, go.  If you're not sure if you want to do lit, go and see if you like lit.  If you don't, reinterview somewhere else in the fall or during your clerkship.  This will likely be your only chance to try out W&C, since they accept very, very few people who did not summer there (they recently had their first lateral hire in decades).  You will have plenty of opportunities to try out other places if you don't like the fit.
That's actually exactly what I decided to do. I think it's the best thing to do right now.  :)

sbellsianno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
That's actually exactly what I decided to do. I think it's the best thing to do right now.  :)

so only you from uva?