Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Williams and Connolly?  (Read 9924 times)

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Williams and Connolly?
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
I'm considering going there for the summer. I'm hearing lots of mixed things about W&C. Any thoughts?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about Williams and Connolly?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
If you have any interest in clerking, you'd be a fool not to take the W&C offer.  Their name on your resume, plus the ability to get to know former clerks that may make recomendations, is invaluable.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
I'm considering going there for the summer. I'm hearing lots of mixed things about W&C. Any thoughts?

They have pretty good food.  Seem pretentious though, but I guess that is to be expected.  Ive also heard that their bonuses are virtually non-existent.  All and all, I know I would definitely accept an offer from W&C over pretty much anywhere but Wachtell.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »

They have pretty good food.  Seem pretentious though, but I guess that is to be expected.  Ive also heard that their bonuses are virtually non-existent.  All and all, I know I would definitely accept an offer from W&C over pretty much anywhere but Wachtell.
Yea, they don't have any bonuses but they pay a little over market- 180K. Why would you accept them over everyone else except for Wachtell? Do you think they are that good?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Williams and Connolly?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
hmm... they went up in salary over the past year or so then (when I started looking last year they were 165K or at least according to naalp). 

W&C is the best of the best when it comes to litigation which is the type of work I do.  Wachtell has sick bonuses so they would be a first choice.  My opinion is that you could take W&C and go anywhere with that degree.  It has such great portability.  Other firms are great, but if you want to be a litigator, my opinion is you should start at the best.  Even you dont like it, it is easier to move down in the quality of firms rather than up.

In the end it is all a personal choice, but that is the choice I would make if in your shoes.  Congrats on having the option :)

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
pretty sure this is a failed attempt at a subtle brag.

in case you're serious...if you wanted to try areas of law other than litigation, W&C would not be the ideal place for that. what are the negative you have heard?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

in case you're serious...if you wanted to try areas of law other than litigation, W&C would not be the ideal place for that. what are the negative you have heard?

Mainly, lots of work (like 2400 or so) and no bonuses, which makes you feel undercompensated. Then again, it seems you get real work with real responsibilities instead of doc review and having very little responsibility. I'm not sure how I feel about white collar criminal defense which is their main practice. Also, the biggest question is whether I want to be doing litigation or transactional. I have no idea what transactional lawyers do, and it's tempting to go to a place where I can at least try it. 

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

Mainly, lots of work (like 2400 or so) and no bonuses, which makes you feel undercompensated. Then again, it seems you get real work with real responsibilities instead of doc review and having very little responsibility. I'm not sure how I feel about white collar criminal defense which is their main practice. Also, the biggest question is whether I want to be doing litigation or transactional. I have no idea what transactional lawyers do, and it's tempting to go to a place where I can at least try it. 

If you're not absolutely sure you want to do litigation, why in the world would you go to Williams & Connolly?
Because they seem like an awesome firm. Just because I've never done any transactional work shouldn't mean that I should pick someone else, or that I will not enjoy litigation. I mean, what if I go to a different firm, try corporate and end up hating it, and will choose litigation. W&C will not take me back, I'm pretty sure about that, and they are thought of as the best litigation firm out there. If, on the other hand, I don't like W&C or litigation, I could potentially reinterview and go to a firm with corporate practice. Of course the problem is I still won't know what the heck transactional lawyers do and if it is for me...

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
Wow.  Our very own UVA_2L at W&C.  Very prestigious.  Good work, dood.

I would take them, but I'm just a 1L, so what do I know?

sbellsianno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:38 PM »
i just did a callback -- am waiting on hearing back -- they said it'll take a week or more. Everyone tells me that it's a no-brainer.  Some say they'd pick w&c over wachtell, especially in this market.

if you don't mind my asking, how many does w&c hire from uva per year? are you on law review? don't want to "out" you, but am just wondering whether LR is necessary. (i'm on a secondary but top 10%).  do you know how many have offers at uva for w&c?  penn has 2 or 3 i think.