Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: took practice LSAT (didnt do well)  (Read 4607 times)

melly717

• View Profile
    • Email
took practice LSAT (didnt do well)
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »
okay so I have never really sat down and took practice test.  I finally had to for the powersore class and did horrible.  I wasn't prepared I couldnt focus, and I didnt feel like the room was quiet enough.  So i scored a 136 (I totally guessed for the last section so I dont see how i can use that score as something to build on.  Any advice or comments

TimMitchell

Re: took practice LSAT (didnt do well)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »
I've heard of a lot of people with low diagnostics improving them to really great scores, so don't take it to heart too much. Also, guessing a whole section could ruin any test. Can't really help you without more info on what sections you need help up, or specific problems, but your powerscore class will. Good luck!

melly717

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »
thanks i appreciate the response.  Well after reviewing my answers, it seems that I need to do better with the logical reasoning.   :)

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
Almost all of us started low.  Don't stress about it.  Just study!  ;D

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »
i think it's important to remember one thing- NEVER try and compare yourself to others (esp. on this site). there are some pretty brilliant people here.. definitely gifted. Just run the race at your own pace and never give up. the LSAT is definitely learnable. i dont have an amazing score like most on this site but i started with a 148 and have improved significantly.

best wishes!

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
i think it's important to remember one thing- NEVER try and compare yourself to others (esp. on this site). there are some pretty brilliant people here.. definitely gifted. Just run the race at your own pace and never give up. the LSAT is definitely learnable. i dont have an amazing score like most on this site but i started with a 148 and have improved significantly.

best wishes!

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:21 AM »
okay so I have never really sat down and took practice test.  I finally had to for the powersore class and did horrible.  I wasn't prepared I couldnt focus, and I didnt feel like the room was quiet enough.  So i scored a 136 (I totally guessed for the last section so I dont see how i can use that score as something to build on.  Any advice or comments

Listen to EarlCat. He is wise.

Becoming prepared for the LSAT will not happen overnight; for most people it is a process that develops over a period of 3-36 months. The beauty of it is that as one is experimenting with different techniques, one is learning how to take the test. By the time one has reviewed 2 or more preparation aids, one should be familiar with the different question types on the LSAT and have an idea of which ones seem harder than others. At that point one should be developing a personal strategy, working on improving difficult question types, and learning to manage time during each section.

I think a solid way to prepare for the LSAT is to take previously administered LSATs, one at a time, and then review the results. This review should consist of examining each question, even the ones answered correctly. Instead of relying on a book to explain why the wrong answers were wrong, though, I think it is healthier to examine the answer choices and make one's own determinations. I believe this builds mental strength, as well as confidence, because one learns to explain the answers better than any book can. This also encourages one to think like the producers of the LSAT, not the makers of the 3rd-party preparation materials. This, perhaps, is why some prep materials/courses can actually hurt you; they may help you in one area, but then they teach a method that clashes with your learning style in another area. The trick is to recognize it and discard what doesn't work for you.

When it comes down to it, I say screw the prep materials. Look over them, then put them aside. Just buy all the previously administered LSATs, take them one at a time, and figure out how they work (and how you work with them). That's what a lawyer would do!

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »
The first try is always the hardest but it sounds like you need to try taking another practice test.  Take it in a quiet library or other quiet setting at a time where you can really focus and mentally concentrate on what you are doing, perhaps first thing in the morning when you are wide awake or at another time where you feel ready.  Turn off all cell phones/beepers, etc. and see how much you can get through.  Also - definitely don't guess - the LSAT is all about using reasoned, rational thinking.  Try some sudoku puzzles beforehand to warm up for the Logic Games.  The LSAT is all about practice so after a couple of timed tries, you might get more used to taking the test.  If all else fails, you might want to sign up for a course or hire a private tutor who can help coach you on test-taking strategies.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law