Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you ask the interviewer at the end?  (Read 909 times)

Salamon26

• View Profile
What do you ask the interviewer at the end?
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
What questions should be asked to the interviewer once they ask "So do you have any questions for me?".  I know that you should not ask things easily available on their website (details about summer program), but this leaves me to a blank as to what is appropriate to ask?  Thanks

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
Re: What do you ask the interviewer at the end?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
Ask about the interview’s feeling about the firm.  Do they love working there?  Are they satisfied?  Most people will paint a pretty picture for you, but I have had interviewers point blank tell me they were not happy and did not like their company.  One even warned me to stay away because of an impending corporate implosion. 

Another question is to ask is about the support and training you’ll receive once hired.  Do they have a mentorship program or is it sink or swim. 

Good luck! 

GG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
That's a good suggestion. Indeed, any question is OK as long as it gives the interviewer the opportunity to talk and open up. Other examples are "What are you looking for in a candidate?" or "What do you think is the most important attribute a lawyer working for your firm must have?". You will gain a significant insight into your interviewer's thinking by asking such questions.
Giuseppe
Solicitor and author of Soft Skills for Lawyers (www.chelseapublishing.com) :)

Salamon26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the great question suggestions so far!!!  Is it considered a good idea to ask specific industry related questions, (ex. How do the new federal regulations affect the way your firm deals with issues in the area of X)?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
Thanks for the great question suggestions so far!!!  Is it considered a good idea to ask specific industry related questions, (ex. How do the new federal regulations affect the way your firm deals with issues in the area of X)?

That's fine -- just make sure you're interested in what you're asking. 

A few questions I like to ask...

What has made you stick around for X years?

Do you have thoughts on this firm v. _____ (a firm you have an offer from)?

What distinguishes your firm from another _____ firm (big firm in Chicago, boutique, etc.)?

How would you describe the firm atmosphere?

Do you have a formal mentoring program?

How is work assigned?

What would I start out doing as a first-year associate?

What did you think of the summer program when you went through it?

Will I have real responsibility as a summer associate?

How much interaction will I get with clients as a first-year associate?

Etc.

Ask about what interests you, and if they're particularly excited about a certain subject, explore it more.
2L

GG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »

Ask about what interests you, and if they're particularly excited about a certain subject, explore it more.

I agree with bitblaster's last suggestion. A friend of mine was recently interviewed by Baker & McKenzie and there was a great emphasis at the interview on the ATP (Associate Training Programme, which gives associates the opportunity to be transferred to another international office after two years) so he let the interviewer talk at lenght about it... apparently it worked as he has now received an offer from them (which he has accepted)!

Giuseppe
Solicitor and author of Soft Skills for Lawyers (www.chelseapublishing.com:)