Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3L--Lost my motivation. How can I get it back before finals?  (Read 2327 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
3L--Lost my motivation. How can I get it back before finals?
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »
I'm kinda over law school, but I don't want crappy grades since I want to reapply for appellate clerkships.  I also want to get off my butt and write some publishable papers this year.... but all I can seem to do is lay on the couch watching episodes of "Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency."   :-[

What can I do to feel motivated again?

I am officially a law school graduate : )

smiley

Re: 3L--Lost my motivation. How can I get it back before finals?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
Legapp, totally with you. I am actually studying abroad this semester - I thought that would be a great way to beat the 3L blues. It is empowering being in a foreign city and not being in Ann Arbor dealing with all the daily stupid crap that goes on at the law school. I don't even have very much work here, but what I do have, I find myself not doing, and am here on the boards (which I haven't really been since a pre-1L) or watching youtube for hours.

Do yo have a fall break coming up? Maybe a visit to family and old friends is in order? When I hear from my family that they're proud of me and happy for me, that kind of motivates me some. Or when I get together with those friends who have nothing to do with law school and we laugh hysterically about what life was like in high school, that can help too. But 3L does seem to be a really terrible state of lack of motivation.

Your goals for the year sound great - I hope you find the spark you need! :)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Holy  crap people, I have been going to law school every semester including summers since Aug. of 2004  (Part-time plus an LLM) and working fulltime. Talk about burnt the ^%&* out. But you just gotta force yourself to do it. My advice next semester take classes that interest you if you have been doing “bar courses.” For now setup a routine, study from X-Y everyday then take the rest of the day off. Having a routine makes it harder to put it off then if you just study whenever you get around to it at different time on different days. And just remember you could be going on year five like me!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
Fvck it.  I already have the job I wanted going into law school so I'm not going to bust my ass anymore.  I'll probably do just as well or not much worse.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:22:13 PM »
If it makes you feel better, I'm a 1L and even I suffer from some of the same blues and malaise.

Anyway, you're at Penn, and you'll be fine.  Whenever I have trouble with motivation, I just take a vacation and come back refreshed.  Why don't you go up to NYC for a weekend?