Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Campus Visit  (Read 1825 times)

pe402

• View Profile
Emory Campus Visit
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
I'm visiting Emory tomorrow. It's my first campus visit. Woot! I'm excited. Any Emory students have any advice/thoughts on the admissions staff?

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Campus Visit
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »
How did you like the campus?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »
tag.  pics would be nice! (website is curiously void)

pe402

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
Unfortunately I didnít take any pictures of the campus. Honestly, I wasnít very impressed with the school or the student body.  However, I was very impressed with the class that I observed. The student body seems collegial on the surface but I think there are a number of competitive individuals at any law school.  Overall, I thought the environment was lacking any type of energy. The library is very nice but that's about it. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them based on my impressions.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:24 PM »
was it spacious?  were there nice places to study outside of the library? you said the library was nice, what did you mean?  why was the class you sat in so great?  etc. etc.  how was the area of the city campus was in? 

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
I'm a student there.  I would have offered to have lunch or grab a beer or something had I seen this.  Bummer.

Which Professor's class did you sit in on?

I'm surprised people are hating on our architecture.  Most people agree that the campus in general is very nice, but nobody really seems to like the aesthetics of the law school, which I think is really nice.  As far as actual use, it's big and well-kept with mostly very nice classrooms and facilities.  The library is especially nice.

As far as the students, I really don't know how you can pick up on a whole by just going on a tour or sitting in on a class.  If you talk to certain groups, you'll think they're boring and lame.  Others will seem like a lot of fun.  That's going to be the case anywhere you go.  I also don't know how you can pick up on whether there's a lot of gunners or anything aside from the fact that early on, we had 3 people in my section that wouldn't shut up in class.  At any rate, I mentioned this in my thread, but I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to how good/bad the student body is, because the current 1Ls are just as likely closer to the 1Ls at a school like BC next year as the 1Ls at Emory.  Our 1L class and 2L class, for example, is very different.  And, on top of that, it looks like you came on a Monday, which is basically the worst day of the week for most people.  If people visit, they should come on a Thursday so they can hang out by the two (2) weekly kegs and hear people talking about the three (3) upcoming bar reviews for the weekend.

In general, I think campus visits really are meaningless except in that you can see what the surrounding area is like.  If you come to ATL, make sure to drive around in midtown, Virginia Highlands and Buckhead.  Get a map of various attractions.  See if this seems like a place you could spend 3+ years.  Aside from that, none of the top-30 schools that I can think of (besides maybe BU) are so deplorable that you should cross them off, nor are any so amazingly exciting -- considering only the school's facilities/student body and not the surrounding area -- that you should feel like it's the only place you can see yourself going.  Your decision really should be, and probably will be, more about how much $$ you are offered, and what the job prospects from the various schools are.

Also, please don't misconstrue me saying "this doesn't matter" as me accepting that our facilities are trash.  I actually think we have an exceptionally nice law school, a good student body, a great community, and a fabulous general campus.
Emory 2L
LSN

pe402

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
I'm a student there.  I would have offered to have lunch or grab a beer or something had I seen this.  Bummer.

Which Professor's class did you sit in on?

I'm not sure who the professor was but the class was contracts at 2ish. The professor was funny and engaging. When he called on a student who didn't know the answer, it wasn't a big deal. The class seemed relaxed.

As far as the students, I really don't know how you can pick up on a whole by just going on a tour or sitting in on a class.  If you talk to certain groups, you'll think they're boring and lame.  Others will seem like a lot of fun.  That's going to be the case anywhere you go.  I also don't know how you can pick up on whether there's a lot of gunners or anything aside from the fact that early on, we had 3 people in my section that wouldn't shut up in class.  At any rate, I mentioned this in my thread, but I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to how good/bad the student body is, because the current 1Ls are just as likely closer to the 1Ls at a school like BC next year as the 1Ls at Emory.  Our 1L class and 2L class, for example, is very different.  And, on top of that, it looks like you came on a Monday, which is basically the worst day of the week for most people.  If people visit, they should come on a Thursday so they can hang out by the two (2) weekly kegs and hear people talking about the three (3) upcoming bar reviews for the weekend.

Funny, all the students I talked to mentioned the keg etc. I'm not sure that would have improved my impression of the student body. Everyone was nice but I didn't feel the 'energy'. It doesn't mean I disliked the school but it does mean I'm NOT in love with Emory. I can see myself going there but I won't be upset if I don't end up there. Also, I live in Atlanta and I'm familiar with the area. It's a good location but TRAFFIC sucks around there. I do wish it was on the Marta rail line.... but the bus works.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:31:53 PM »
Your teacher was probably Gozansky based on your description.  The other 2 are Abrams and Vertinsky.  Vertinsky's female, so it wouldn't be her, and Abrams prides himself for being super-Socratic and striking fear into the hearts of students.  He's an excellent, excellent professor, however.

I really don't see how some student bodies could be noticeably more energetic, though.  I just can't imagine a bunch of law students getting out of class with big goofy smirks hopping around crying out how much they love law today or something.  I think we have a more "normal" student body than most, and we have a fair number of people that are pretty outgoing and fun (although admittedly it's really only about half our class, but everyone's nice).  Anyway, again, I wouldn't make your decision based on that fact.  The student body changes every year.
Emory 2L
LSN