Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's a 1L schedule like?  (Read 3499 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's a 1L schedule like?
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:30:18 AM »
This goes out to 1Ls and 2Ls or anyone for that matter can throw in their input if they want. I'm just curious to see what an actual schedule is like for 1Ls.. like what time the classes are and how often they are per week... also, I was curious to see if schools have the same time constraints/schedules for every class they have. Does every 1L, every year, at Penn for example, have Con Law mondays at 10? Also, if you don't mind, how do you fit your studying into this schedule.. when/where/how?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: What's a 1L schedule like?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
This goes out to 1Ls and 2Ls or anyone for that matter can throw in their input if they want. I'm just curious to see what an actual schedule is like for 1Ls.. like what time the classes are and how often they are per week... also, I was curious to see if schools have the same time constraints/schedules for every class they have. Does every 1L, every year, at Penn for example, have Con Law mondays at 10? Also, if you don't mind, how do you fit your studying into this schedule.. when/where/how?

My classes are:

8:00-8:55 m-f (Civil Procedure)
9:05-10:00 m-th (Property)
1:05-2:25 t-th (Constitutional Law)
10:10-11:05 t+th (Legal Practice)

Tuesdays and Thursdays are obviously a little busier than other days.  There are usually guest speakers or student group meetings at lunch on most days as well, so the day can seem pretty full.  

It seems like every section (and even each subsection) has a different schedule.  I'm pretty sure only 1 of the 4 sections doesn't have an 8:00 class this semester.  

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »
It seems like every section (and even each subsection) has a different schedule.  I'm pretty sure only 1 of the 4 sections doesn't have an 8:00 class this semester. 

No, you guys got the shaft.  MNOP is 9 or 10 depending on subsection, IJKL is 10, and EFGH is 9.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
It seems like every section (and even each subsection) has a different schedule.  I'm pretty sure only 1 of the 4 sections doesn't have an 8:00 class this semester. 

No, you guys got the shaft.  MNOP is 9 or 10 depending on subsection, IJKL is 10, and EFGH is 9.

Ahhh--looks like the switched things around at the last minute.  Up until right before the semester they had three sections starting at 8:00.  Looks like EFGH and IJKL will both have early classes in the Winter (unless the switch it up again). 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »
Monday
         9:25 - 10:35 Contracts
         1:00 - 2:10 Civil Procedure
Tuesday
         11:00 - 11:50 Legal Research
Wednesday
         2:25 - 3:35 Regulatory State
Thursday
         11:00 - 11:50 Legal Writing
Friday
         11:00 - 11:50 Legal Writing

Overall, it's 14 hours. We already have 1 hour of credit under our belts, however, from a new course called "Life of the Law" that we took for 1 credit p/f the week before school started (as part of orientation).
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
18 hours this semester:

Mon and Wed:
Contracts 10-11:15
Crim Law 1-2:15

Tues & Thurs:
Civ Pro 10-11:15
Torts 1-2:15

Tues only:
Legal Writing 4-5:15

Fri:
Civ Pro 10-10:50
Torts 12-12:50

The day before a particular class I read for the first class of the day. For instance, on Wednesday afternoon I read for Thursday's Civ Pro, and Torts if I feel like it. If I don't feel like it, I read Torts in the break between Civ Pro and Torts. Or I read Torts IN Torts.
I try to do all my reading at school so I don't have to carry books home or have to try and read at home when I'd rather be Wii-ing or watching Top Model. If I do any reading at night, it's usually hornbooks or E&Es, etc. I'd like more time to read those but I have to drink now and then too, you know?

I don't do much on Saturdays but spend a good part of Sunday at the library or thinking about going to the library.

Of course, this schedule all goes to hell when I have writing assignments due.

My fellow 1Ls are taking the same classes, but the times are all over the place. Some have class as early as 8:30 (ugh) and as late as 2:30-3:45 (ugh again). I love my schedule, though I had no say in it.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »
thanks for the input, It looks like you all have decent schedules, imo... When I was in UG, my main goal in scheduling was to limit the amount of time in between classes, ie put all my classes  back to back so i didn't need to waste time on campus or whatever.. How do most of you/most of the students at your school handle this? If there is a 3 or 4 hour break between classes, do most go home? do most study? or do most just kinda sit around and waste time?

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »
Most study, I think. If they live close enough they might go home but IMO that's prime time for reading for your next class. I try to keep my schedule to a 9-6 or 9-7 kind of deal, and if I goofed off between classes I'd be at the library until 10 every night. But it's all to your preference. If you like working all evening and want to sit in the park all afternoon, that's your call.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
Columbia only makes us take three classes in the fall semester (plus a pass/fail intro class in mid-august), so my schedule looks like this:

MONDAY:
9:10-10:30: Contracts
1:10-2:00: Legal research (this is only a half-semester class, which just ended this week)
2:00-2:30: I eat free coffee and cookies in the law school student services office
2:40-4:00: Con Law

TUESDAY:
10:40-12:00: Civ Pro
2:00-2:30: Aforementioned coffee/cookies

WEDNESDAY:
2:00-2:30: Aforementioned coffee/cookies

THURSDAY:
9:10-10:10: Legal Writing

That's right, ladies and gentlemen.  My week ends at noon on Thursday.  CLS = Best. Law School. Ever.  9am classes may be rough for some, but it's nice to be done so early.

There are also optional TA sessions at around 5pm on M-W, which are useful to get in the mindset for finals.

I generally study at the law school during lunch hours and after my classes.  I love the feeling of going home and having no work left to do, so I try to get everything done by 9pm.  I am learning that there is, 99% of the time, free dinner available somewhere in the law school at some group-sponsored lecture (not to mention free lunch, which is pretty much 100% guaranteed M-Th), so I not only save money on delicious roti roll, but get to finish my work before going home to play MarioKart and watch Pushing Daisies on abc.com!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »
I can't compete with these, but I'll try:

Monday:

Elements -- 9:45 - 10:50
Property -- 1:30 - 2:35

Tuesday

CivPro -- 9:45 - 10:50
Property -- 1:30 - 2:35

And . . . some other stuff.  Sorry.  I'm getting tired and lazy.