Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami or Atlanta?  (Read 1018 times)

nowa2L

• View Profile
Miami or Atlanta?
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
Which city is better? 

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Miami or Atlanta?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
The legal market is much larger in Atlanta. The Miami market is tough to get into, but the Atlanta market is not easy to get into either. Ive lived in both and prefer Atlanta, but I grew up in Florida.
Emory 3L.

nowa2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »
At the risk of outing myself, let's complicate this question a little further. 

Say you have offers with firms in both cities.  One with a top NY firm's Miami satellite office, and one with one of the Atlanta "top 5." 

Here are the factors guiding your decision: you like the Miami office/work environment better, but you get a better feeling about the QOL in Atlanta (and the people at that office are pretty nice, too).  Miami office has a strong practice area that matches your interests, but Atlanta office has an interesting practice group that looks like something you might want to learn more about.  But, you're also concerned about firm prestige for possible lateral movement later in your career.

I'm leaning towards Miami, but I think I may or may not be getting cold feet. 

Any objective thoughts?  I have a hard time asking anyone at school because the "job talk" is so touchy this season  :-\

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »
Take option C and join the Peace Corps.  They'll never expect you to do that.  You'll show everyone!!!!

Seriously though, your question really is this.  Does your life exist inside the office, or outside?   If you're an "in the office" kinda guy, then go with Miami.  If you're a "everybody's workin' for the weekend" kinda guy, then go with Hotlanta.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
I think you'd be happier in Atlanta.

Caveat: I hate Miami.
Vanderbilt 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
I think it's also worth it to consider that FL has no personal income tax.

Also, from what I gather, FL has a lot more places to work while GA is pretty much Atlanta or nothing. Atlanta is bigger than any market in FL, but FL has several other large cities you could head to once you get tired of Miami (Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee [in the legal market sense] all come to mind).
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »

True, but they will make up for it by murdering you when it comes to property taxes once you become a homeowner.
Vanderbilt 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »

True, but they will make up for it by murdering you when it comes to property taxes once you become a homeowner.

Very, very true. But if you rent, it's not too bad. The taxes still get passed on a bit, but not really. The cost of an apartment in Tallahassee isn't any worse than the cost of one where I'm from (CS,CO).

Remember when the voters tried to abolish property taxes and the FL Supreme Court and the Governor basically told them to never, ever do that again and they would not allow it to happen because it would effectively kill the government? Fun times.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »

Also, from what I gather, FL has a lot more places to work while GA is pretty much Atlanta or nothing. Atlanta is bigger than any market in FL, but FL has several other large cities you could head to once you get tired of Miami (Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee [in the legal market sense] all come to mind).

And if you combined all of those legal markets, they still would not be as big as Atlanta's. Also, Miami lawyers have a BAD reputation. They are often compared to New York lawyers, which is not a good thing. Furthermore, there are a ton of companies based out of Atlanta (Delta, UPS, Home Depot just to name a few), so if you go with this "top" Atlanta firm, you will most likely be doing fairly sophisticated work, which always helps pad the resume. COL is also less in Atlanta. 
Emory 3L.