Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transfer question  (Read 1563 times)

TheDuderino

• View Profile
transfer question
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »
hello...

i am at the relatively new law school, Elon University.  needless to say, there is no reputation as the school's first graduation won't take place until next year.  it's a good school, though, good people.

i am in the middle of my second semester of my first year.  i have a 3.1 gpa, putting me in the top 25%.  i have already passed the patent bar. 

i am just looking for some thoughts about my transfer potential.  first, do i have a shot at a place like DePaul or Kent?  second, do i even have a shot at a place like John Marshall Chicago or maybe Stetson?  third, would it even be better for me at John Marshall? 

really, i'll work anywhere.  location isn't the most important thing. 

the most important thing is putting myself in the best POSSIBLE position for success.

thoughts?

TheDuderino

• View Profile
Re: transfer question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
bump

SCOOTERNINJA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:50:28 PM »
Your school must have weird semesters.  Is your first semester in the summer?

TheDuderino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
had to take a semester off for health reasons.  the particular schools i noted each accept spring transfers for beginning 2Ls.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »
Top 25% gives you a good shot at comparably-ranked schools or maybe even moving up a little bit.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

anna13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
I think you'd have a good shot at Kent. I transferred to Kent three years ago. I finished my first year of law school in the top 15%, and I was accepted as a transfer at DePaul and Kent (those were the only ones I applied to). Kent had a LOT of transfer students. One transfer student who I got to be friends with told me she was in the mid-20% of her class at the end of her first year, and she transferred in from a 4th tier school. I also met a really nice transfer student from Cooley - don't know what his rank was, but I assume it was pretty high.

Kent = really good school. I had a really positive experience there, and it has a really good alumni base in Chicago.

I'm editing to add that John Marshall graduates a TON of students every year, so it also has lawyers working in all areas of law in Chicago. Truth be told, it's considered one of the less prestigious schools in Chicago, but it does graduate students well suited to practice law, and because of its size, you should be able to make connections in Chicago with a degree from JM.

TheDuderino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »
many thanks!

jagmqt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »
Is Elon accredited yet?  That could be a problem...

jag

ByronHadley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »
hello...

i am at the relatively new law school, Elon University.  needless to say, there is no reputation as the school's first graduation won't take place until next year.  it's a good school, though, good people.

i am in the middle of my second semester of my first year.  i have a 3.1 gpa, putting me in the top 25%.  i have already passed the patent bar. 

i am just looking for some thoughts about my transfer potential.  first, do i have a shot at a place like DePaul or Kent?  second, do i even have a shot at a place like John Marshall Chicago or maybe Stetson?  third, would it even be better for me at John Marshall? 

the most important thing is putting myself in the best POSSIBLE position for success.

thoughts?

With the patent bar behind you I would not worry about suceeding.  You will be fine coming from any school.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
hello...

thoughts?

With the patent bar behind you I would not worry about suceeding.  You will be fine coming from any school.

Are you kidding me?

Patent bar or not, I hate to break it to you but Biglaw doesn't do much recruiting from Elon or the other above mentioned schools.