Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addendum needed?  (Read 479 times)

klmnumbers

• View Profile
    • Email
Addendum needed?
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Hi all, I've been researching a bunch about apps, and I'm a little torn as to whether or not I should write an addendum. Here is my situation:

My first semester I had all As or A-s, my second I had all Bs and one C. Each semester after that, my grades got a little better (like mostly Bs next semester, all As and Bs next semester (and for much of the remainder of college)) with a slight upward grade trend. overall, my GPA ended up being a 3.46.

Now the reason this happened (we later found out), is that I have a rare thyroid disorder called Graves disease which affects the hormones, heart, and eyes. So, I felt sick often, was minorly depressed, and slept all the time. I received treatment for over a year which did not work and eventually received radiation and will have to be medicated for the rest of my life. (my last year of school was pretty strong with only one frustrating grade).

So, would it be overkill to write an addendum given that my GPA isn't really that bad? If you think I should, do you all have any suggestions for how exactly to write an addendum without sounding solely like I'm making excuses?

Thanks for your input.
LSN - even tho I have no numbers yet. There it is.

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Addendum needed?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
Is the 3.46 your degree-granting GPA or the one LSAC calculated for you?

Regardless, from what you've said it doesn't sound like there was any huge dip or surge in your performance--you went from As, to As and Bs, with a C in there second semester. In this case, I probably wouldn't write an addendum. You might use your illness as a PS topic, if you want to do a "challenges overcome" sort of statement, in which case you'll have alerted them to the illness as a previous factor in your academic career. But your grades are really pretty stable. If you'd gone from As to Cs and Ds and then back to all As again, then I could see an addendum.
3.67/Oct. LSAT

klmnumbers

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Addendum needed?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:39:40 AM »
Is the 3.46 your degree-granting GPA or the one LSAC calculated for you?

Regardless, from what you've said it doesn't sound like there was any huge dip or surge in your performance--you went from As, to As and Bs, with a C in there second semester. In this case, I probably wouldn't write an addendum. You might use your illness as a PS topic, if you want to do a "challenges overcome" sort of statement, in which case you'll have alerted them to the illness as a previous factor in your academic career. But your grades are really pretty stable. If you'd gone from As to Cs and Ds and then back to all As again, then I could see an addendum.

3.46 is the LSAC calculated one; mine was a bit higher. Yeah I wasn't sure. It's not a big change at all. I suppose you're right given that many schools offer a secondary/optional "challenges overcome" essay. thanks
LSN - even tho I have no numbers yet. There it is.