Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Important Are My LSAT Scores?  (Read 12275 times)

SilenceSeaAndSky

• View Profile
Re: How Important Are My LSAT Scores?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
Heartbreaker,

Thanks, I definitely do not think I am entitled to a top school.  I just think that my Master's will look FAVORABLY.  By definition, law schools are interested in analytical, research-oriented minds.  A Master's from that institution is a solid indicator.  Also, when you say that you worked in academic departments, do you mean to say you worked in the academic departments with professors who worked on law school admission selection committees?  Because you cannot generalize from other departments.  If you worked in grad departments across the humanities or physical sciences, it doesn't make much sense to say that unless an MA is paired with a PHd it is meaningless.  After all, why would you apply to a PhD program if you already had a doctorate in that field?  When I asked my undergrad prelaw advisor (who went to Yale and UCLA) what she thought of my chances, she told me this: Though what you have done is impressive, there are people who apply to law schools with Doctorates and M.D.'s.  In other words, the M.A. is a step above a B.A.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »

Nealric- Thanks, I will study more.  The rest of you need to expand your perspective and see admissions as some combination of a "holistic process."  I am trying to understand that holism, not your monolithic, impetuous theories.

It's not holistic and you're kidding yourself if you think it is. Undergraduate admissions is holistic. Law school is 90% your LSAT and undergraduate GPA. Accept that fact, because otherwise you're going to get hit hard by the rejection letters.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »
lol

i applied with a masters, and i will guarantee you it made no difference at all in the admissions process.

btw, i'm a 3L with 5 hours to go until graduation, so......its more than just an impetuous theory.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

SilenceSeaAndSky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
Haha, do you have evidence to support the claim that it did not matter?  Also, why should I take your opinion over the dissenting opinion of individuals who are now professors, been to law school or have been employed by law firms for several years?  I think this discussion is over.  Thanks, all!

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »
Haha, do you have evidence to support the claim that it did not matter?  Also, why should I take your opinion over the dissenting opinion of individuals who are now professors, been to law school or have been employed by law firms for several years?  I think this discussion is over.  Thanks, all!

good question! 

which begs the return question:  "wtf are you doing asking us if you already had such definitive answers?"   ::)

yes, yes, run along now.

JD

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »
Seems like he just wanted us to stroke his ego for this thread. Oh well.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »

he can stroke it himself.  (and probably does)  :D

JD

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

he can stroke it himself.  (and probably does)  :D

thats not all he strokes.

(is that what you meant with the parenthesis?)

I would like to thank this DB for making liberal arts majors look like arrogant assholes.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
PhD programs are not cash cows, no, but purely MA programs (ie. with no guarantee of admission to the PhD program in the same university) are DEFINITELY cash cows.

I did the administrative work on an MA program at my university (Ivy, ranked T3 in the discipline) and all the kids are paying $50K/year with no guarantee of PhD admittance.

I also sat in on the faculty and administration meetings during the founding of this program where the justification for the program was that the 15 kids in the program would not be eligible for university or department aid and would thus be a guaranteed contribution of $750,000 to the department per year.

Maybe this isn't true of all schools, but the impression I got from my experience with this department, was that it was common practice amongst MA programs in the social sciences.

Also, money from law and med schools goes to law schools and med schools, not to other departments within the university.  Arts & Sciences in my school does not get a penny of the law school's money.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
OP: subtle Wisconsin troll, or even more subtle Berkeley troll?