Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My first Post!  (Read 1580 times)

BacardiGirl

• View Profile
My first Post!
« on: October 08, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to take a peek into this forum and see if I have what it takes to potentially pursue a career in Law.
I'm 31 years old, have a B.S. in Mass Communications/PR from St. Cloud State University (class of '99)...I never used my degree and ended up working in the mortgage business for the past 6 years as a processor and underwriter. I recently left the biz (thank god, considering all the turmoil its in now) and am working as an Admin Asst. for the University of Minnesota and also taking a couple classes here part time. I have been interested in healthcare for the past year or so (mainly becuase I have always been fascinated by it, partly because my father has been ill and I would like to learn more and have dissatisfied with the whole hospital system). In fact, I was planing on taking pre-reqs for Pharmacy or Medicine. wrong choice. The math and science is driving me crazy! I hate it!! Then, I got to thinking, I am more into the advocacy and policy of healthcare, not so much the practice. So I started looking up law school information with the emphasis of Public Health policy and research and thought..well, maybe that is more my style? I don't know..maybe its all a pipe dream and I have no idea what I am doing (aside from doing crummy in my chemistry class) Any advice for me?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My first Post!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »
If you want to go to law school start doing your homework.  Research what you can do with a law degree, and what studying law actually entails.  If you're just interested in law because you're looking for something new, it's probably not a good idea.  It is an extremely arduous journey you have ahead of you, and it is a huge mental, emotional, and financial investment. 

You can find articles about law careers and law school all over the internet.  Start there.  If you search yourself and find you are really serious, then it is time to get committed.  You will have to ace whatever courses you are taking now (law school is very competitive - if you can't manage pulling As at the undergrad level, it will be an uphill journey for you), and you will have to start putting together your application (personal statement, register with LSAC, get transcripts from schools, get letters of recommendations).  The LSAT alone takes a ton of time to study for.  It is definitely a test you should give yourself a few months to prepare for. 

I'm not trying to scare you out of the field, but I just want you to make sure you know what you're getting into.  It is an incredibly competitive field, but it is one that I believe has many rewards.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
If you're just interested in law because you're looking for something new, it's probably not a good idea.  It is an extremely arduous journey you have ahead of you, and it is a huge mental, emotional, and financial investment. 

I would also say that it is important to let your family know what kind of commitment you are going to be getting into, as it will also have an effect on them. You are going to have very limited personal time, you will be stressed and it is a large financial investment in yourself.

BacardiGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
I feel more depressed now than I did earlier today. lol

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:26:55 AM »
Don't be depressed.  If you want it, then go after it.  Only you know if something is right for you.  Just be aware that law is probably the worst field to go into if you just 'don't know what else to do'.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »

I am 32, married and agree with the above comments. Honestly, it sounds like you’re bored. Besides, if you are looking to this forum to determine if the law is for you then it probably isn't. Either you want to be an advocate for clients or you do not.

Some suggestions: Pick up some first year law school textbooks and read them. Is this material appealing enough for you to spend years of your life learning and practicing? Spend some serious time down at the courthouse. You work on a campus with a law school. Get over there, start poking around and talk to as many people as you can.

Everyone is here for a different reason but I would say that most are passionate about pursuing the law. It doesn't sound like your there yet. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BacardiGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:01:27 AM »
Don't be depressed.  If you want it, then go after it.  Only you know if something is right for you.  Just be aware that law is probably the worst field to go into if you just 'don't know what else to do'.

I wouldn't say I am 'bored'...that said because I made a decision to leave an industry I'd been working in for 6+ years because I wanted to pursue a career that made a difference in people's lives and something that I felt passionate about and would feel good about doing. The fact that I have been so disgusted with the healthcare system (hospital care, doctor availability, insurance issues all relating to things happening to my family) made me want to pursue medicine or pharmacy...because I wanted the knowledge to be able to help my family and others in their situation. but recently, I just feel as though I do not have the knack for medical practice (scientifically) and that my passion/focus is more directly on fighting for patient rights, advocacy and care. That is why I wanted to look into law. I do understand the time, commitment and money it takes to get into this..since I'd already been looking in med/pharm which I would say, is just as rigorous/stressful. But, I would like to take your advice and go into it carefully and rationally...I will ask around, talk to advisors, look through books to see if it is truly a path I would like to take. I appreciate your feedback! :)

lipslikesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
If you don't try you will never know! ;)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:23 PM »
I'd also suggest looking into Master's in Public Health programs to see if that's more of what holds your interest.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French