Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post-callback email - we will make you an offer if we can?  (Read 1510 times)

slylives

• View Profile
Post-callback email - we will make you an offer if we can?
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
I have had a dreadful OCI experience. 6 interviews, 2 callbacks, one rejection. I'm top 5%, CALI awards, Law Review, great work experience. The callback from whom I hadn't heard anything (other than a "we appreciate your patience" email) sent me this yesterday:

"We feel you are a very strong candidate and you are on our list to receive an offer should the numbers allow.  We sincerely hope we will be able to include you in our program.  If we are in a position to extend you an offer in the next week or two as the decisions come in, we hope that you will strongly consider XXX for your summer clerkship."

(I interviewed late in the process and a wave of offers went out before I interviewed.)

So what do you think my chances are? I started to get hopeful but a couple of my classmates have cautioned me that so far, it's nothing but a "it was great to meet you" email that could very well be followed by "but we can't offer you a job." Surely they wouldn't send something like this unless they were pretty sure that they would be able to make an offer? Anyone else had this?

sankthebismark

• View Profile
Re: Post-callback email - we will make you an offer if we can?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »
It sounds like they'll make you an offer if they can. We've been getting dispatches from the career office since the semester started indicating how its going to be a "tight market" this year. I think everyone just has to see how their clients are going to be affected by the downturn.

On the bright side, you can always hunt out a firm with a large Subprime Foreclosure practice area. Business should be booming.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Post-callback email - we will make you an offer if we can?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Sounds like a waitlist to me.

I have heard that many firms have had their classes fill much earlier than usual this year- so there may be only a few slots left. They are probably waiting to see how many people accept the offers they made in September.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?